NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Loss of C curve in spine (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/161565-loss-curve-spine.html)

hellothere 12-03-2011 04:00 AM

Loss of C curve in spine

Is there a connection between the loss of the spinal C Curve and TOS ? If so what is the connection can someone please explain it to me

chroma 12-03-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellothere (Post 829569)
Is there a connection between the loss of the spinal C Curve and TOS ? If so what is the connection can someone please explain it to me

You mean the S curve.

Spinal S curve --> good

Spinal C curve --> bad

But maybe you're referring to the neck? In that case, you want a backwards C curve as opposed to a straight neck or forward C.

But I understand the spirit of your question. I can't answer it in a really authoritative manner, but I can tell you that the further away you are from natural spinal alignment, the more susceptible you are to a number of health problems. I believe that could include nerve compression resulting in muscular tension/spasms. If those muscles are the scalenes, now you have a potential problem with lifting the first rib and/or hard muscles bullying the softer nerves and blood vessels.

If you want more background reading, there are books from Egoscue, Joseph Weisberg, Thomas Hanna and Craig Williamsom. None of them deal directly with TOS, but they are informative nonetheless.

If you want products to aid in restoring natural curves, some people have had good results with "Back Magic" and "Real-Ease Neck and Shoulder Relaxer" products.

(Maybe you've already checked out the above, but I was too lazy to go poking around past forum posts and this is good info for others too.)

I recall one paper said that TOS people often have "downwards beaking" of C7, but didn't explain the why. I saved the quote, but not the title and it looks like I got the url wrong, so the quote is all I have:
Quote:

"The cervical spine Xrays reports should include the anomalies of the transverse process of the 7th cervical vertebra: elongation, enlargement, downwards beaking; because they are commonly present in patients with TOS who had a positive triad. In the cervical spine radiological picture shown in the paper there is a elongated transverse process of the 7th cervical vertebra seen."
Maybe someone else on these forums will have additional comments on the relationship between unnatural spinal curves and TOS. We'd all like to know more. Please share. :D

mspennyloafer 12-06-2011 08:38 PM

guess what guys!

i can tuck my chin and lift my head off the ground without overactivating my scm or my scalenes now!!! i just can't hold it for more than a second but it's progress.

my pt has some good shoulder stabilizing floor exercises i'm going to progress to...eventually. i'm excited.

chroma 12-06-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mspennyloafer (Post 830419)
guess what guys!

i can tuck my chin and lift my head off the ground without overactivating my scm or my scalenes now!!! i just can't hold it for more than a second but it's progress.

my pt has some good shoulder stabilizing floor exercises i'm going to progress to...eventually. i'm excited.

Congrats!

Is this the thread you really meant to post this in?

hellothere 12-07-2011 04:16 AM

How long does it take to restore that curve of the spine ?

hellothere 12-07-2011 04:30 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpk1HOWTZ8s

check this out, i tried it and my neck felt alot better .

what do you guys think ?

MarcS 12-07-2011 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellothere (Post 830507)
How long does it take to restore that curve of the spine ?

My previous chiropractor told me it would take about 1 year, for me.

mspennyloafer 12-07-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chroma (Post 830474)
Congrats!

Is this the thread you really meant to post this in?

yes its all about the c curve man