NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Propranolol or Primidone for Tremor? (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/161685-propranolol-primidone-tremor.html)

Peony 12-06-2011 12:48 PM

Propranolol or Primidone for Tremor?

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with Parkinson's, the main symptom being a severe tremor, which hasn't been relieved by PD meds. So I'm considering trying the essential tremors meds, Propranolol (Inderal) or Primidone (Mysoline). I'm thinking that I might have both PD and ET. Has anyone else tried either of those meds, and what were the results?

Thanks so much for any input.

aquario 12-06-2011 08:37 PM

inderal

I take inderal 10 mgs occasionally when I have to give a lecture in a class I'm teaching. It lowers the blood pressure and thus moderates (but does not eliminate) tremor -- one of the stress symptoms of pd. It's quite popular among classical musicians/soloists who don't want their nerves to get the better of their technical skills. It's very inexpensive with, for me, no side effects.

Jon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peony (Post 830306)
I was diagnosed 5 years ago with Parkinson's, the main symptom being a severe tremor, which hasn't been relieved by PD meds. So I'm considering trying the essential tremors meds, Propranolol (Inderal) or Primidone (Mysoline). I'm thinking that I might have both PD and ET. Has anyone else tried either of those meds, and what were the results?

Thanks so much for any input.

GregD 12-07-2011 09:45 AM

Early on, I was prescribed Propranolol. It did nothing for the tremor. Every male in my family has high blood pressure. This has been determined to be a genetic trait in my family. I now take Metoprolol due to having PD, which as I understand is a more selective beta-blocker yet still Propranolol. It works wonders on the high blood pressure but as my luck would have it, nothing for the tremor. As a matter of fact, nothing I have tried helps with the tremor. All I can really say is try it. If it works, great! If not move on to the next one or learn to live with the tremor. Big choice, huh?

aquario 12-08-2011 12:36 AM

tremor and twiddling

I have a tremor only in my left hand. If I twiddle my thumbs, the tremor disappears. I've been using this technique for five years as a way to mask my malady. It also has the added benefit of making me look contemplative and deep . . . :). Unfortunately I haven't figured out a way to twiddle my thumbs and type at the saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame time.

Jon

GregD 12-08-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquario (Post 830769)
I have a tremor only in my left hand. If I twiddle my thumbs, the tremor disappears. I've been using this technique for five years as a way to mask my malady. It also has the added benefit of making me look contemplative and deep . . . :). Unfortunately I haven't figured out a way to twiddle my thumbs and type at the saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame time.

Jon

Typing while twiddling the thumb is easy. One hand one finger leaving the affected hand free to twiddle away. :wink: