NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   Oh the horror. Dream (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/161885-oh-horror-dream.html)

SDFencer 12-11-2011 03:35 PM

Oh the horror. Dream

I snapped awake from a dream today and I'm still a bit shook. I couldn't remember when or where my finals were, I was unprepared, I was trying to figure out if it would affect my elegibility for the basketball season.

I went to look it up on the internet with my laptop. But when I was in college we had just moved to keypunch cards and a laptop would have filled an entire room.

Anyone understand dreams?

Rrae 12-15-2011 12:40 AM

Dreams....

Hmmmm Dreams. If this particular forum were a bit more 'busy', I'd bet you'd get a wide array of viewpoints. I certainly don't claim to know much about dreams and their 'meanings'. My mom used to buy books on dreams and was certain that every dream had a meaning.
I know there have been many studies on this topic and there are many books out there on how to 'decipher' dreams.

From what I've heard the most, dreams are our 'subconcious' - I guess this is the view I've latched on to. I'm lucky if I can remember the dream 5 seconds after I awake! Even a very vivid, long drawn out dream....vanishes before I can make any sense out of it. In the past, I tried to 'journal' my dreams, but nothing came of that.
Certain meds I've taken have caused very vivid dreams. Luckily tho, I don't have nightmares.
If you were to ask my mom about the dream you shared, she would try to correlate it to something that was going on in your life at the time you had the dream - such as, you must have had something important going on and you weren't feeling confident that you were able to succeed at it. And since you mentioned your concern for the upcoming basketball season, it might imply that whatever this important thing was, it could potentially affect your future.
Something like that?
Just an example of what I was brought up to believe.

Another thing that stands out in my memory....if you have a dream that you are chewing on glass, that could possibly mean there is something happening in your life that you aren't able to 'swallow'.....unable to accept, perhaps.

People have claimed that dreams are 'visions', from the great beyond.

I don't necessarily stand by any of these theories. Just sharing some thoughts on what I was told in years past.

They are indeed interesting and a good conversation piece.
I'll be curious to see if anyone else has any input to share.

Perhaps a nice soothing bath and a warm glass of milk before bed will relax your subconcious enough to get a good night's rest. :)

Rae

Sloane 12-15-2011 06:42 PM

dream meanings...

B"H

it sounds like you are having stress dreams. this particular dream you had is very common and is a stress dream. my husband still has that same dream without the basketball eligibility part every so often, and he is 41 years old...long time since college for him. tO avoid tHese dreams, perhaps try and do some meditative breathing exercises before bed to relax yourself. just lay still and breathe in deeply from your stomach through your nose and breathe out your mouth sending the oxygen throughout your body. also, think about what is going on in your life at some point during the day to identify what has you stressed. don't worry about this dream as I can count on two hands how many people I know who have the identical dream as you had. it is just the manifestation of stress in your dreams. good luck. sleep well. pleasant dreams.

:hug:
Sloane

Jaspar 12-15-2011 06:59 PM

Stress. Worry.
Someone I know said she had these dreams for 15 years after graduating.

Rrae 12-16-2011 05:29 PM

Most nights I enjoy watching my favorite commedian on a late night talk show. I find this a good way to end the day and drift off to sleep with a few corny jokes flitting about in my head.