NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   little patience or tolerance (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/161957-little-patience-tolerance.html)

steelrat 12-13-2011 10:42 AM

little patience or tolerance

I sure have a short fuse since my injury. Little tolerance for negativity and get frustrated easily. Sunday I destroyed my cell phone. :eek:, it was an older spare I had , it kept screwing up, ( shutting off mid function, not sending messages, etc) and I was trying to reply to a text that morning, and it was on the blink AGAIN,so I snapped it in half and smashed it on the kitchen counter.. such a high intolerance to poor performance :mad: A brief fleeting satisfaction at looking at its smashed useless carcass before I through it in the bin...sigh.....

JulieRN 12-14-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelrat (Post 831941)
I sure have a short fuse since my injury. Little tolerance for negativity and get frustrated easily. Sunday I destroyed my cell phone. :eek:, it was an older spare I had , it kept screwing up, ( shutting off mid function, not sending messages, etc) and I was trying to reply to a text that morning, and it was on the blink AGAIN,so I snapped it in half and smashed it on the kitchen counter.. such a high intolerance to poor performance :mad: A brief fleeting satisfaction at looking at its smashed useless carcass before I through it in the bin...sigh.....

I've not damaged anything (but sure have wanted too lol)..I have also become intolerant of so much since my injury..I always LOVED having ALL of the kids around ( I have 3 and my BF has 3 and a granddaughter)...now, it drives me crazy...I attribute it to the noise, chatter, activity etc...when something feels overwhelming, I walk away. Always...I go hide. Not sure if it's the right thing, but I remove myself to protect myself and I really don't want to lash out at others...this seems to have helped me...it's not always feasible and I've been known to issue a verbal thrashing (ouch)...my family (THANK GOD) knows that it's not my personality, it's the injury talking...there is a huge difference between the two. There is no worse feeling than that anger/rage though...it scares me -_-

Mark in Idaho 12-14-2011 11:23 AM

A short fuse is not uncommon. Even if the outburst does not cause harm or expense, it is not good for recovery.

Learning the skills to walk away from the issue will greatly improve your life.

Been there, done that, busted things. Not a nice picture. Cleaned up my act.

My best to you.

tamisue 12-14-2011 11:38 AM

and hurt a few feelings in the process.....

sometimes its best just to remove yourself from the situation if possible...

Kenjhee 12-14-2011 08:14 PM

Short fuse person right here. The shortness of my fuse should be against the law. Oh, wait, apparently it is.

Anyway, the main thing is you are willing to confront the problem, and not go into denial about it. I've tried various things over the years, and the best advice I learned from a karate master (this is paraphrased a bit)...

He told me to imagine my anger was a straight line drawn on a piece of rice paper with a writing brush and ink. He asked me if I desired to make the line shorter. I replied very much. He asked me how I would best go about it.

As an engineer I reviewed several methods in my mind, taking into account the delicateness of the paper and the composition of the ink. The master rejected every plan. So I asked him how he would do it. He told me to imagine taking up the brush again and drawing a second line next to the first, similar but longer. He then asked me how the first line now looked.

"Shorter," I replied.

Now when I feel an anger session coming on, instead of fighting it and making it worse as I used to do, I validate my feelings, tell myself that it's OK to get angry sometimes. I then try to generate a more positive thought, about anything, and place it right next to my negative thought. Since I've been using this method, my anger episodes have been significantly curtailed, in fact I can't remember the last time I really had a mad on.

Hope this helps someone.