NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Dust or vacuum first? (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/162114-dust-vacuum.html)

barb02 12-16-2011 11:02 AM

Dust or vacuum first?

I have had someone cleaning for me for the past few years , but I recently let the most recent cleaners go. They were overcharging me for the amount of time they actually were here cleaning. So I decided I am going to try to do the cleaning myself.

I just vacuumed the house. Unfortunately, I have carpet everywhere except kitchen and bathroom. I need to get a lighter vacuum. It seemed realy heavy when I was pushing it around. Now (after a break) I am going to dust. It seems to make more sense to me to vacuum first (since it may stir up dust) and then dust second. But my mother has always dusted first and then vacuumed. So my extremely important question of the day is whether or not there is a "right"order in which to clean.:rolleyes:

tkrik 12-16-2011 11:08 AM

I have no idea. I dust first. Of course I dust with a damp rag but if any dust ends up in the air it will end up on the carpet. That's why I vacuum 2nd and I wait a little between dusting and vacuuming.

Big heavy vacuums are out for me. I just can't manage them. I tried a canister vacuum and while I loved that I could use it and have not trouble, I found myself tripping over the canister. It's a no win situation. There are lightweight vacuums out there. A friend of mind told me about one that is lightweight, has great suction, and there is a dust buster type thing that detaches. I can't remember the brand name, it was either Eureka or Hoover. She recommended I get one.

DD20 had something similar but it was made by Shark and is cordless. It does not do well on carpets but works well on bare floors.

Blessings2You 12-16-2011 11:44 AM

My Mom taught me to dust first and then vacuum. But of course, those were the days before swiffers and such that actually picked up the dust more than just moving it around and onto the floor. She always said "start from the top and work down".

It doesn't apply here because I dust whenever I feel like it or when company's coming, meaning once in a blue moon or when I can write War and Peace on the furniture. My husband does the vacuuming, and I have no idea what his schedule is. And believe me, he has one.

kicker 12-16-2011 11:52 AM

Dust and Vacuum the same time!!!!? What are you people, crazy? (or is it me!?)

kicker 12-16-2011 11:56 AM

B2Y,
I'm so impressed you can write War and Peace. It's such a long book.

SallyC 12-16-2011 02:43 PM

Yes, in the good ole days, it was dust first, then sweep.. Now it's every man woman and child for themselves..:D:p:D

War and Peace is a little long to wait, Blessings.:rolleyes:

ginnie 12-16-2011 05:00 PM

Hi Barb

I do clean a house or two. I dust with a damp "cleaning cloth" made for that purpose first. It picks up all dust. Then vac. There are light weight ones out there these days that don't cost much. The suction is great on these new machines. Wish I could do it for you! ginnie

barb02 12-16-2011 05:53 PM

Ok -- I guess mom was right:)