NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Control of the remote (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/162129-control-remote.html)

Blessings2You 12-16-2011 06:52 PM

Control of the remote

It's a longtime stereotype that the men control the remotes...but is it real? Do people actual "fight" over the remote?

My husband can't see the numbers well, his fingers are farmer-big, and he has an aversion to all things electronic...BUT! He has discovered the mute button (what we call the shutter-upper). He holds the remote because he mutes the commercials!

When it's time to change the channel, either he hands me the remote or, if I'm out of the room, he gets up and changes channels on the satellite receiver. No biggie.

He gets to choose what we watch. That's because I like everything he likes (as opposed to the other way around) so whatever he selects is fine with me. Once in a while we go back and forth: "I don't care, what do YOU want to watch?"

How does it work at your house?

Erin524 12-16-2011 07:15 PM

We all have separate tv's. Everyone is the King, Queen or Princess of their remote.

But, if I watch tv with my dad, a lot of times I'll be the one running the remote. I have started to let him do it himself so that he doesnt always have to have me there to watch stuff on the DVR. That way he can watch things on his own when I'm not feeling good.

aussiemom 12-16-2011 09:44 PM

When we had cable, we had our own TVs. I had mine on closed caption, cause I can't stand the noise. Neither of us liked the others idea of what to watch. He is on an antenna now, I'm blissfully quiet.

SallyC 12-16-2011 10:01 PM

DH and I had our own TVs in the last 25 or so years of our marriage. He like football and Nascar. I liked anything else..:D

karilann 12-17-2011 10:06 AM

My husband falls asleep on the couch with the remote in his hand. If you try to take it, he wakes up and insists he is watching TV.

He is the king of the remote and he is a dictator.:winky:

kicker 12-17-2011 11:18 AM

I'm Queen of Remote. Like B2Y's, DH can't read the numbers, can't work this complicated (to him) piece of technology. Like Karilann's, he falls asleep on sofa. Sometimes he joins me in bedroom to watch something he asked for special and falls asleep there and I watch it. Most nights I watch what I want. He usually comes in during a commercial and complains TV is way too loud (Goes way up at commercials). I turn it down to make him happy (and shut him up) and when regular show comes back he complains it's way too low. Then he lies down and falls asleep. We've been married 33 years, it's a little routine we follow. Football, Golf, etc., is watched by him on other TV. I like when he falls asleep as I watch in bedroom, otherwise he keeps up a running commentary of how stupid show and /or characters are.