NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Sudden change in tone of tinnitus. (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/162328-sudden-change-tone-tinnitus.html)

SpaceCadet 12-21-2011 08:50 PM

Sudden change in tone of tinnitus.

Wondering if anyone here that has ringing in their ear(s) has experienced a sudden change of tone in their tinnitus. I have tinnitus in my right ear only and sometimes the tone will literally change from a low pitched buzz to a high pitched "scream" in a split second, or vice versa. Don't think there is any trigger, it just happens randomly...even while I'm sitting in complete silence.

ger715 12-21-2011 10:58 PM

Tinnitus

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwsmith1984 (Post 834448)
Wondering if anyone here that has ringing in their ear(s) has experienced a sudden change of tone in their tinnitus. I have tinnitus in my right ear only and sometimes the tone will literally change from a low pitched buzz to a high pitched "scream" in a split second, or vice versa. Don't think there is any trigger, it just happens randomly...even while I'm sitting in complete silence.

I have had problem with the tinnnitus the past few years (my mother had the problem as well) but have noticed off and on during the past few months, occasionally screechingly high pitch at times. My hearing is quite good otherwise.

I have PN and finally have put it together. At certain times, when my pain reaches a high - the pitch gets louder. Are you having any bouts with sudden excessive pain?

Mark in Idaho 12-21-2011 11:55 PM

Mine changes in volume frequently. It seems to always be the same pitch. I wonder if the low pitch is not tinnitus but then tinnitus manifests and you notice the high pitch of it over-riding the other low tones.

SpaceCadet 12-22-2011 12:10 AM

My headaches are very few and far between. And when they do come, they are very mild and hardly noticeable. No other problems with pain anywhere else on my body.

I notice when I go out and do stuff, (shopping, visiting with a friend/relative, talking on the phone), or if I'm around something loud like people talking or music, it gets really loud.

xxxxcrystalxxxx 12-22-2011 08:59 AM

I dont have ringing in my ears but I do have the "whooshing sounds". They do vary in how loud it is. I find if I'm over stimulated then it can get louder. The louder it gets the more I'm trying. I know now to back off when it gets louder and give my head a break.

Eowyn 12-22-2011 02:49 PM

My tinnitus has a couple different pitches and volumes. I can't find any rhyme or reason to how or when it changes, or even when I notice it.

yazmin 1219 05-20-2015 06:34 PM

Did your ringing ever go away? @Spacecadet

Mark in Idaho 05-20-2015 10:02 PM

yazmin1219,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. SpaceCadet has not been on NT for over a year.

Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us about your symptoms and struggles. There are others who are going through what you are going through.

If your tinnitus is part of PCS symptoms, one thing you need to know is that everybody's experience and symptoms are unique to their injury. Some see improvements with tinnitus. Others struggle for a longer period. It is one of the more frustrating symptoms of PCS. My tinnitus has been with me for over a decade. It comes and goes. It is loud right now because I just drank some root beer. For some reason, my tinnitus gets louder after I drink a cool beverage.

So, please let us know how we can help.

My best to you.