NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   SCS & Pain Pumps (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/)
-   -   Had SCS implant!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/162643-scs-implant.html)

ElizaJane23 12-30-2011 04:25 PM

Had SCS implant!!

Hello all! The day finally did come, and I have my SCS! Not having a trial, I really didn't know what to expect, but it is truly like a TENS unit functioning deep inside of me. I keep on finding myself saying "It's Wierd" but it is! It's like the pain is still there but it's not getting any worse as the day goes by. Yeah! The rep gave me 4 basic programs while I was in the recovery room, but they all feel the same now. They couldn't get the stim to 2 areas I needed, but one I have hope they might get when I go in one week from now. My incisions aren't too awfully painful - I normally take breakthrough pain meds 1-2 times a day and I'm taking them 4 times a day. I can probably drop that down some tonight. Not bad at all, compared to the 3 other spinal surgeries I've had. This is a piece of cake! I have a question for you all: the rep (Boston Scientific) gave me the charging kit and the remote kit and said be careful not to lose my remote as it costs $1300 to replace. One remote doesn't seem to be enough, especially for something this important. How many remote controls (or controllers) do you all have? Just wanted to see how other people are dealing with it. I'd appreciate your advice.

yellow 12-30-2011 05:29 PM

Hooray Eliza I'm so happy for you that you finally have it in after all the waiting you've been through!! That's great too that you're not in too much pain! Hopefully a programming session with your rep can get it to more areas too.

I keep my remote with me at all times. Usually in my pocket as a big ol' bulge :p (really, why can't they make them thinner?) That way I don't have to worry about losing it. I panic if it gets under a blanket and I can't find it for just a couple minutes though!

Mark56 12-30-2011 08:45 PM

Boston Scientific

One remote, cost, $1500, when my remote became unreliable and was losing signal despite repeated battery changes.... and this was just over the threshold of the one year warranty of the product.... Insurance took care of the cost in my case due to it being a Workmen's Compensation case [injured on the job]. My remote is my constant companion, and I, too, become pretty shaken if I cannot momentarily find it.

Yup, and Eliza, that is one nice smile on your thread!!
Blessings,
Mark56:grouphug::)

Sandy Kay 12-31-2011 02:51 AM

So glad things went well for you Eliza. It's nice to hear "It's a piece of cake".
Wishing you success with your upcoming sessions with your rep.

I have only one remote and keep it near by. Forgot to bring it in the car once and made my husband turn around and go back and get it even though we were going to be gone a short time.

I've put my name, phone number and medical device remote on a label on the case and remote just in case it falls out of my purse or I leave it some where. I hope this never happens.

I sure wish it was small too.

Sandy Kay

Rrae 12-31-2011 12:56 PM

Congratulations Eliza!

The waiting is OVER! You are one tough cookie! :cool:

Yeah, our remotes are probably one of the most important things we own nowadays :p

I remember quite awhile back we were all discussing the 'what ifs' of losing the remote and several folks decided to get them covered under insurance. Was it 'homeowners' insurance?

like Mark mentioned, there is a warranty. I think I understood my rep saying that they'd give us a new one if lost or stolen - course it would have to be a very good reason and they'd only do this once. Course I coulda still been in my twilight daze and dreamed that up myself (?)

Anyway, I'm so very happy for you!

:hug: Rae :hug: