NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Oxidative stress iss not cause of Early Onset PD (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/163559-oxidative-stress-iss-cause-onset-pd.html)

Conductor71 01-18-2012 11:09 AM

Oxidative stress is not cause of Early Onset PD

Well, they say things happen in threes. Along with the news that Lewy Bodies are not pathogenic, we have evidence that in Early Onset PD that oxidative
stress is not cause of PD, but rather an effect. Looks like the mitochondrial dysfunction theory may explain EOPD? Hmmmm...this means that we should respond favorably to Dr. Wahl's mitochondrial diet? Of course, this finding too probably only applies to some of us.

I must say I have a new respect for the fruit fly. That is amazing.

Laura

Biologists a step closer to solving Parkinson's conundrum

VICTORIALOU 01-18-2012 12:01 PM

interesting

Thanks Laura

One thing I found particularly interesting in that study was about oxygen consumption

"The research team, which included undergraduate and postgraduate students, found that oxygen consumption and the production of ATP (the chief supply of energy inside cells) were drastically reduced. In response, lactate was increased."

also.... from medical dictionary

"Severe curtailment of oxygen, as during ascent to high altitudes or in certain illnesses, may bring on a variety of symptoms of hypoxia, or oxygen lack. A number of poisons, such as cyanide and carbon monoxide,, as well as large overdoses of sedatives, disrupt the oxygen distribution system of the body. Such disruption occurs also in various illnesses, such as anemia and diseases of lungs, heart, kidneys, and liver."

If Lactate is increased that produces an acidic state doesn't it?
Is Dr. Wahl's diet an alkaline based diet?

olsen 01-18-2012 01:06 PM

mitochondrial dysfunction

I remember well the profound fatigue and feeling of being cold my husband experienced as beginning symptoms of PD. At the time I wondered if the fatigue was due to mitochondrial dysfunction and if the lack of body warmth was due to mt dysfunction also, or if it was a manifestation of autonomic nervous system dysfunction. Seems a small percentage of ATP produced is utilized for thermal regulation--ie to maintain body warmth. Initially, the use of megadoses of CoEnzyme Q 10 helped with both of these symptoms, though both symptoms have re-occurred.

Conductor71 01-18-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VICTORIALOU (Post 842486)
"Severe curtailment of oxygen, as during ascent to high altitudes or in certain illnesses, may bring on a variety of symptoms of hypoxia, or oxygen lack. A number of poisons, such as cyanide and carbon monoxide,, as well as large overdoses of sedatives, disrupt the oxygen distribution system of the body. Such disruption occurs also in various illnesses, such as anemia and diseases of lungs, heart, kidneys, and liver."

I am not sure on the lactate, but will look up for sure. I tried Dr. Wahl's mitochondrial diet for half day which call for 9 cups of greens and veggies each day. Hard to go from 1-2 to 9 so suddenly. It is based on the Paleolithic Diet, so I am not sure that is considered alkaline or acidic?
I realize now it is okay to build up to it; the important thing is sticking with it for at least month.

Laura

lurkingforacure 01-18-2012 05:44 PM

two things

These may not be directly applicable to this study, but I can't help but notice:

1. yes, Wahl's diet is alkaline (no sugars, which makes things swing over to acidic) and

2. if one has a vascular compression in the brain, which I would think would indicate something somewhere is not getting as much oxygen as it normally would...Dr. Jannetta's theory comes into play again.

Now I know they weren't feeding these worms the typical horrific Western diet, nor did these worms have peduncle/arterial compression. But the lack of oxygen, for whatever reason, seems to have about the same effect. Which is why it's so interesting to me that Jannetta's lady patient fully regained all of her function overnight after decompression. 60-80% of your neurons in the substantia nigra simply cannot regrow overnight or even in a matter of days, I don't think, assuming they are in fact dead.

montesierra 01-21-2012 06:59 PM

Hello,

it's about one o'clock and i'm very tired.. but... this site is fantastic...!
the stuff discussed here, is the key to finally solve the puzzle of PD...
go ahead, don't stop, don't listen to what your physicians may tell you...search, search, search and watch the pieces fall down one by one...

My personal state: i'm 47, diagnosed with PD at the age of 40, my mother (71) diagnosed at the age of 55 has exactely the same symptoms, left side of the body, bradikinesiy, rigidity...

at the moment, L-Dopa, even Stalevo, doesn't really work fine.. 100/25/200 every 2 hours, the hole day... in about 2 weeks from now they'll try once again a new thing on me.... well i'll become Mr. Data... DBS.. 8-)

Regards
Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by VICTORIALOU (Post 842486)
Thanks Laura

One thing I found particularly interesting in that study was about oxygen consumption

"The research team, which included undergraduate and postgraduate students, found that oxygen consumption and the production of ATP (the chief supply of energy inside cells) were drastically reduced. In response, lactate was increased."

also.... from medical dictionary

lindylanka 01-21-2012 08:23 PM

Very interesting discussion, and one that raises lots of questions, especially the oxygen thing. Obviously anything we say is all hypothetical, but what isn't with PD. Think someone mentioned in another post the circulatory thing, if we are not moving enough then it slows down...... thinking of more sedentary lifestyles (mine certainly when in work and since) and how exercise improves things. It is not just about getting our stiff arms and legs and torsos more supple, as my physio exercise people seem to believe, the beneficial bit is about moving the blood around, they understand that with cardio things...

I am not so sure about different types of diet, but one that includes all the good stuff must help, even when neuros say it doesn't. Anything that reduces blood flow in the brain could be implicated.........like B12 etc....or venous or arterial compression.... they are only just starting to really look at this stuff, it depends on their perspective on PD, and how wedded they are to it being a dopa issue. I have always favoured a cascade of events as causative, because that is how it felt, losing one bit and then another of the person I used to be.

No scientific I know :mad: