NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Back to Work!! Round 2! (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/163748-round-2-a.html)

nightnurse30 01-22-2012 12:38 AM

Back to Work!! Round 2!

So i just had my second day back to work today. Im back 24 hours a week....which ends up being 2 - 12 hour shifts and this time during the day. Sadlly, i lost my position in my unit (i was a full time, night shift employee), and the day shift doesnt have an open position, so as i wait to find my permanent home and applying to all 5 Scripps Hospitals, my ICU is letting me pick up day shifts.

First of all....WHOA! Day shift is wayyyyyy different than nightshift. On so many good levels. Way busier, brighter with all the lights on, more people to talk to, more things to do.....but it seemed perfect for me. I didnt have time to get tired or focus on headaches popping up. But i didnt get a little one by the end of the day that was easily handled with ibuprofen.

It feels AMAZING to be back with my patients. I had a Neuro patient today for one of my patients and we did some major bonding. I think it helped him to know i have been there, that i took his pain and complaints to heart, and made sure to be there whenever he was scared, nervous, or in pain. I will be on 24 hrs/week until March 1st.

My neurologist was in today to see her patients and walked by me...did a double take, and grabbed me and was like "OMG, you're here!!! How do you feel? Any headaches?" I gave her my update and that i just started yesterday. last she was aware of, i lost my job and was looking. So it was a bit of a surprise for her to see me back in the unit. She sat and chatted with me and made sure i was ok with all my partial disability paperwork, meds, concerns, etc. It just validates how amazing she is and how much her care and concern have helped me get to where i am today. So lucky to have her!

Im feeling very positive that i will be successful with this return to work. I now have a better way of handling my headaches with minor OTC pain meds and healing touch for my headaches. I am going to make sure i rest appropriately in between shifts, definetly only working day shift from now on, and paying attention to my body and symptoms rather than working through them. So happy to be back to work!!!!

SpaceCadet 01-22-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightnurse30 (Post 843796)
So i just had my second day back to work today. Im back 24 hours a week....which ends up being 2 - 12 hour shifts and this time during the day. Sadlly, i lost my position in my unit (i was a full time, night shift employee), and the day shift doesnt have an open position, so as i wait to find my permanent home and applying to all 5 Scripps Hospitals, my ICU is letting me pick up day shifts.

First of all....WHOA! Day shift is wayyyyyy different than nightshift. On so many good levels. Way busier, brighter with all the lights on, more people to talk to, more things to do.....but it seemed perfect for me. I didnt have time to get tired or focus on headaches popping up. But i didnt get a little one by the end of the day that was easily handled with ibuprofen.

It feels AMAZING to be back with my patients. I had a Neuro patient today for one of my patients and we did some major bonding. I think it helped him to know i have been there, that i took his pain and complaints to heart, and made sure to be there whenever he was scared, nervous, or in pain. I will be on 24 hrs/week until March 1st.

My neurologist was in today to see her patients and walked by me...did a double take, and grabbed me and was like "OMG, you're here!!! How do you feel? Any headaches?" I gave her my update and that i just started yesterday. last she was aware of, i lost my job and was looking. So it was a bit of a surprise for her to see me back in the unit. She sat and chatted with me and made sure i was ok with all my partial disability paperwork, meds, concerns, etc. It just validates how amazing she is and how much her care and concern have helped me get to where i am today. So lucky to have her!

Im feeling very positive that i will be successful with this return to work. I now have a better way of handling my headaches with minor OTC pain meds and healing touch for my headaches. I am going to make sure i rest appropriately in between shifts, definetly only working day shift from now on, and paying attention to my body and symptoms rather than working through them. So happy to be back to work!!!!

Congratulations!!!

I'm really glad you made it through this mess and I wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors. Hopefully we will all be able to follow in your footsteps and one day get back to our regular lives.

Good luck, take care. Keep us up to date.

pcslife 01-22-2012 11:30 AM

Congrat and Great news Nightnurse.

One quick question : you still on Amitryptiline or able to quit?

all the best and keep us posted whenever you can.

EsthersDoll 01-22-2012 01:11 PM

That's GREAT news!! Congratulations!! :D

greenfrog 01-22-2012 01:51 PM

Great!!! Keep posting updates. Take it one step at a time.

Lagr 01-22-2012 02:01 PM

That's fantastic!!! As with pcslife, I'm wondering if you are tapering off the amitryptiline/or nortriptyline? Wondering if getting off the medication has been difficult at all? Please keep us posted on how things go.

Eowyn 01-22-2012 04:58 PM

Good for you! Hope it goes well.

Keep tabs on how you're feeling and be gentle with yourself, ok?

nightnurse30 01-22-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcslife (Post 843909)
Congrat and Great news Nightnurse.

One quick question : you still on Amitryptiline or able to quit?

all the best and keep us posted whenever you can.

I've been on Nortritpyline 80 mg. I havent gone down on my dose because i feel so good and wanted to wait until i have been back to work and not having symptoms before i tried to wean myself off of it. I dont have any side effects of it, so it doesnt bother me that i am still on it.

nightnurse30 01-22-2012 08:28 PM

Thank you all on your encouraging words!! I plan on taking it easy on my days off and being smart and listening to my body!! So happy to be back to work!!!

JulieRN 01-23-2012 10:45 AM

SO excited for you :)

I hope to follow in your footsteps...I would rather take care of others than myself :)

All my best to you!! :)