NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Trigeminal Neuralgia (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/)
-   -   Carbamazepine - Side Effects? (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/163955-carbamazepine-effects.html)

The Buzz 01-26-2012 05:29 AM

Carbamazepine - Side Effects?

Hi Everyone,

I just started taking carbamazepine three days ago and I am currently at 600 mg per day (I am going to try 800 mg today). I am wondering what side effects I should expect and if they will diminish as my body adjusts to this medication. Currently I have: dizziness, drowsiness, unsteadiness, increased appetite, fuzzy thinking (about 4 hours after taking medication). I have found that the carbamazipine brings the pain down to a level at which one Advil and one extra strength Tylenol can provide me with with a couple of hours of pain free joy. I am currently "between jobs" but I am concerned about the side affects and how they could interfere with the requirements of a job.

I have just recently been diagnosed with TN and I don't think that I have yet grasped the reality of the situation: I will have this affliction for the rest of my life and therefore will require the meds for the rest of my life. The challenge is to find a balance between the pain and the side effects of the medication. But can I still work even once I find a balance?

Thank you for reading the musings of a newbie.

I wish you all some relief from the pain. :grouphug:

The Buzz

Bassetcase 01-27-2012 09:12 AM

side effects

Hey Buzz, you might try the extended release capsules - lessened the side effects for me, but my dosage is not as high as yours - unless I have an episode and I take an extra dose. I had all those side effects you mentioned while taking the regular tablets, but not with the extended. I had bad dreams and phantom smells as well - smelled pot all the time. LOL

Porcelina 03-16-2012 09:21 PM

I am on the CR ones (or XR in the US) and I only have that horrible fuzzy dopey confused feeling when I am increasing the dose for a few days then it comes right again. So I agree that the extended/controlled release sort might be better.

BethO2L 03-23-2012 12:45 AM

another option

Another option is to take the same doseage that you would daily but break it into smaller amounts more often. So instead of taking 800mg and taking 2 doses of 400mg, try taking 4 doses of 200 mg.

Often you can avoid the highs and lows that way and keep a more consistent amount of medication in your system, so one you get better pain coverage and two you have less medication rush, Tegretol is I think the best drug for TN but I could not deal with the side effects and changed to Neurontin and Lyrica for many years. Funny enough now I do take 200mg at night, so I sleep off the problems and still get the benefits,,,

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.