NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   FYI: MRIs are Extremely Loud (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/163996-fyi-mris-extremely-loud.html)

xanadu00 01-26-2012 08:55 PM

FYI: MRIs are Extremely Loud

Just in case you didn't know this already, as i didn't, MRIs are EXTREMELY loud. They are mandated to give you ear plugs, but even with the plugs the noise is extremely unpleasant. This could be an issue if you have sound sensitivity, as I do. I had one done today and was too dizzy to walk for almost half an hour afterward; then I got really tired and foggy. Fortunately, I had also scheduled a massage for a few hours later, and that seemed to help me settle down a bit. So if you need to schedule an MRE and are sound sensitive, it would be a good idea to plan on arranging for someone else to drive you home, and plan a lot of quiet time after your MRI...maybe even schedule a massage, as I did (luckily).

Pete

SpaceCadet 01-26-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xanadu00 (Post 845450)
Just in case you didn't know this already, as i didn't, MRIs are EXTREMELY loud. They are mandated to give you ear plugs, but even with the plugs the noise is extremely unpleasant. This could be an issue if you have sound sensitivity, as I do. I had one done today and was too dizzy to walk for almost half an hour afterward; then I got really tired and foggy. Fortunately, I had also scheduled a massage for a few hours later, and that seemed to help me settle down a bit. So if you need to schedule an MRE and are sound sensitive, it would be a good idea to plan on arranging for someone else to drive you home, and plan a lot of quiet time after your MRI...maybe even schedule a massage, as I did (luckily).

Pete

When I went for my MRI, they put some big headphones on me with music on low. I was able to hear all the weird, annoying sounds the MRI machine was making over the music. That day I also discovered I was claustrophobic.

I'm glad I asked for the headphones, the noises alone would have probably drove me insane.

xanadu00 01-26-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwsmith1984 (Post 845472)
When I went for my MRI, they put some big headphones on me with music on low. I was able to hear all the weird, annoying sounds the MRI machine was making over the music. That day I also discovered I was claustrophobic.

I'm glad I asked for the headphones, the noises alone would have probably drove me insane.

That's a good idea. I came out after the second scan and asked if they had any more ear protection for me and they said no. I figured I'd go back in and stick it out because the MRI is so important.

Mark in Idaho 01-26-2012 11:35 PM

The yellow foam ear plugs are the best at reducing sound. Often, the MRI clinic offers the bell or horn shaped foam plugs because they are more comfortable. You can also get plastic head phones that do not have any metal in them. I've seen them in the dollar stores but the usually sell for a few bucks.

Using the yellow foam ear plugs and the red plastic head phones can be very beneficial. Get the foam ear plugs in deep. Twist them tight and they will insert easier.

The auditory overload can cause a need to rest for the next day or two. Having a ride home is a good idea.

HeadStrong 01-27-2012 12:42 PM

I had an MRI last month (2 months after my head Injury w/concussion) and felt very dizzy when it was over. I also started in with migranes that same day. Let me just say that i have never had migranes before, and up to that point, I was having head pressure with a slew of other symptoms...but no severe headaches. The Doctors say there's no connection, but it's very coincidental to me.

Klaus 01-27-2012 02:38 PM

A few years ago I had an MRI on my knee, which for some reason takes much longer (about 45 minutes). They gave me headphones which were playing 'War of the Worlds'! Trippy man..... :D

xanadu00 01-27-2012 06:22 PM

Update: I am still in rough shape after yesterday's MRI. Almost all of my symptoms have been worse today, especially the dizziness and brain fog. I sure hope this clears up quickly and I can at least get back to baseline.

themaidquit 01-27-2012 11:57 PM

This is helpful information. I am going for one on Feb. 1. I will try to remember:confused:, the advice that was given. If anyone thinks of something else, please keep posting. Thank you.

chooseLife 01-28-2012 01:31 AM

love mri's

not sure why but my brain loves MRI's. I fall soundly asleep and sleep like I wish I could just stay in there for hours. it's weird. I think it triggers my epilepsy into sleep. I love MRI's. lol.

winic1 01-28-2012 01:49 AM

Call ahead and tell them you have extreme noise sensitivity, and ask if there is anything they can do to provide extra ear protection, or if there is anything they can tell you to bring to help with this problem.

Last MRI I went to have, they gave me the little foam ear plugs. And then the headphones with music over those. But at different locations, they have done much more. Especially for a head MRI, since they are putting the frame around your head and want to make sure you don't move--the foam plugs, then wedging what felt like big foam pads or sponges in each side over my ears. You will still hear the noises, but they are much more muffled that way.

To help with the claustrophobic feeling, I always have them put a washcloth/towel over my face (first time I ever went for one, they offered, so now if they don't, I ask). Then you don't have to worry about keeping your eyes shut while you're in the machine, or seeing how close the top is to you.

And if you are worried about the claustrophobic thing, no need to be. While it is narrow inside the tube, remember that it is completely open at both ends, they can slide you back out at any time, and you are not far in at all. Relax and enjoy the rest. Instead of being annoyed by the noises, I try to imagine them as the beat of different kinds of music, or make up a story around them (like voices arguing) (okay, so I'm weird. but I have actually fallen asleep and take a short nap during some.)