NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Sanctuary for Spiritual Support (https://www.neurotalk.org/sanctuary-for-spiritual-support/)
-   -   asking for wisdom (https://www.neurotalk.org/sanctuary-for-spiritual-support/164105-wisdom.html)

FeelinGoofy 01-29-2012 03:03 PM

asking for wisdom

my father in law is in the hospital with pnumonia. He is 91. He is not responding to the antibiotics and they suggested today for us to consider hospice.... My husband is still in a bit of denial. He is wanting to put in a feeding tube to see if that will help "rally" him back. I guess i'm asking for wisdom for my husband more than anything.... just that he'll be able to make the right decisions concerning his dads care. :hug: thank you so much in advanced
Vicky

Chemar 01-29-2012 04:52 PM

Praying for wisdom and guidance :hug:

Alffe 01-29-2012 05:17 PM

Sending prayers Vicky. And of course love. :hug:

Lara 01-29-2012 05:18 PM

Dear Vicky,
I'm so sorry to read that his condition has deteriorated so fast. :(

Please know I'm thinking of you during this difficult time. :hug:

Abbie 01-29-2012 07:55 PM

Sending prayers for wisdom and guidance....

Sending hugs and prayers of strength for all.

Please remember during this time of worry and struggle to please take care of you...
:hug:
Abbie

ger715 01-29-2012 11:05 PM

Hospice

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeelinGoofy (Post 846241)
my father in law is in the hospital with pnumonia. He is 91. He is not responding to the antibiotics and they suggested today for us to consider hospice.... My husband is still in a bit of denial. He is wanting to put in a feeding tube to see if that will help "rally" him back. I guess i'm asking for wisdom for my husband more than anything.... just that he'll be able to make the right decisions concerning his dads care. :hug: thank you so much in advanced
Vicky

really was very helpful for my Mother. She was 92 at the time, other than the meds causing some memory problems; she was pretty alert. A social worker come a couple of times a week. She suggested we contact Hospice. It was explained so well to my brother and I. This did not mean we thought she was ready to die; but it was good to have them come in and be there if when needed. We were also told many people have hospice for 6 mos. to a year as well. My mother, under the care of hospice checking in and being there when we needed was a great relief for us. My mother live for almost a full year.

All I can say is - was good to have them, if needed. They are really wonderful to work with and "by no means" does it mean your parent is ready to die just because Hospice is involved. Hope this will be of some help.

(Ger)

barbo 01-30-2012 08:20 AM

Goofy

Hospice would be very good for your FIL. It would give him time and help him make decisions about his own health. I hope you call them today.

FeelinGoofy 01-30-2012 09:50 AM

Thank you to everybody..... We talked to the dr this morning and we are going to send him back to where he lives with hospice care. no feeding tube. The reality of it all is that a feeding tube would not do anything to get his mental state back. He is mostly nonresponsive. The goal is to keep him comfortable. Its been a hard decision especially for Rick. He said he feels like he just signed his dads death warrant. :( I totally support his decision and so does his brother in Oregon. Thanks so much for your continued prayers... Its going to be hard watching my father in law continue to decline. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Chemar 01-30-2012 10:54 AM

praying for God's comfort for all of you (((Vicky)))

ger715 01-30-2012 12:10 PM

Feeding

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeelinGoofy (Post 846452)
Thank you to everybody..... We talked to the dr this morning and we are going to send him back to where he lives with hospice care. no feeding tube. The reality of it all is that a feeding tube would not do anything to get his mental state back. He is mostly nonresponsive. The goal is to keep him comfortable. Its been a hard decision especially for Rick. He said he feels like he just signed his dads death warrant. :( I totally support his decision and so does his brother in Oregon. Thanks so much for your continued prayers... Its going to be hard watching my father in law continue to decline. {{{{HUGS}}}}

I know exactly how your husband feels. I was so upset when I was told they were going to just let her stay in a sleeping state. I even phoned them saying "how could she survive if you don't feed her"?. Again, they tried their best to get thru to me. Feeding her at this state would only let the food lay in her and cause more discomfort than good. She passed on in a few days; but it was difficult; but looking back; I see how necessary it all was. I finally wispered in my Mom's ear - "It's okay to let go Mom. Love you.

Wish your husband as well as yourself peace of mind knowing you did the right thing for "Dad".

(Ger)