NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   one year (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/164127-one-year.html)

rick92 01-29-2012 11:51 PM

one year

today is my one year mark

i was hoping to be able to come on here this day and say its completely gone and to give people hope

all i really have to say is that post concussion syndrome has completely ruined my life

i think its slowly getting better but soooo slowly that its unreal and so frustrating. theres a possibility that im just getting used to it though. which is scary. i dont know what feeling normal feels like anymore

what a crappy year

Jeffrey 01-30-2012 12:01 AM

Sorry to hear how it is for you.

The one-year mark was a big deal for me when it hit, but Mark will probably point out that you should not get caught up on time frames, as he did with me.

It has taken a long time for me. I guess the same can be said for some other people. Hope the healing goes well.

Mark in Idaho 01-30-2012 12:34 AM

Yea, As Jeffrey said, Do not get hung up on time frames. They just cause anxiety.

Many get most of their recovery by learning to accommodate many of their symptoms and learning work-arounds, too.

Once you have a full tool chest of work-arounds, you can get back to much of your old life. Some things will never be the same. We can go on with life without some of our past.

What are you worst continuing symptoms?

rick92 01-30-2012 12:41 PM

thank yall for the replies

id have to say the worst symptoms are the continuous headache, slight constant dizziness, and the frustration of only one concussion screwing me up so bad

SpaceCadet 01-30-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick92 (Post 846517)
thank yall for the replies

id have to say the worst symptoms are the continuous headache, slight constant dizziness, and the frustration of only one concussion screwing me up so bad

Your lucky that's all you have to deal with. Many people here, including myself, struggle with cognitive problems and horrible memory. Those are the most debilitating symptoms.

I'm not saying headaches and dizziness aren't bad, I'm just saying be glad its just those couple physical symptoms (which can be dealt with by medicine and other pain management tactics) and not the whole onslaught of symptoms you see in my signature.

Your making good progress at a year with just those remaining symptoms. Keep it up.

xanadu00 01-30-2012 01:43 PM

I hit my one year mark exactly one week ago, and most of my symptoms have gotten worse in the past year. The light sensitivity is so bad as to be almost completely disabling all by itself.

Hang in there.

EsthersDoll 01-30-2012 06:03 PM

I have read articles, written by seemingly reputable sources, that try to state by this time or that time after the trauma we should be all better. But I think they're just trying to make things simple without knowing what's been damaged inside someone's head because without a microscope that can see inside someone's skull they really have no idea. And they really have no idea how long it will take either. And neither do we.

The accident I was in was about 18 months ago and I'm still making noticeable improvement. But I too, am awaiting the day I can come onto this forum and say - "Hey! I'm all better!" But I'm a lot better than I was just 6 weeks ago and much better than I was 6 months ago, etc..

I think the best thing for me is to continue to have hope that I'll get better and that hope takes me through every day to more healing. I think time is the best medicine for a brain injury.

I read an article about a woman who didn't even know to get cognitive therapy for years after the accident she was in and she made leaps and bounds worth of improvement well past the X time mark that is "typical". (She had a PHD in economics and couldn't balance her checkbook after the mild injury she sustained... http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/health/3937.html# )

We all just need to take this situation day by day, or hour by hour if need be and try not to focus on the "bad". (I'm writing this as a reminder for myself too!)

Just try to hang in there! A lot of us here have had a bad year or two (or more) recently too... :grouphug:

Eowyn 01-30-2012 07:52 PM

I just passed my one-year mark, too, and have been discouraged. I'm definitely better than I was six months ago, but I'm far from as functional as I'd like to be.

Thanks so much for sharing the article. It gave me a lot of hope!