NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Stupid Thyroid (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/164226-stupid-thyroid.html)

Debbie D 01-31-2012 03:30 PM

Stupid Thyroid

I've been on a roller coaster the past year trying to get my thyroid numbers stable. PCP raises my dose of Synthroid, and the number goes goofy. Lowers the dose, goes goofy again the opposite way.
DH said I should investigate having the thing taken out.

I have read that MS affects the thyroid. Should I ask my neuro for a referral to an endocrinologist who deals with MS-y thyroids?

SallyC 01-31-2012 09:11 PM

Awwww, so sorry Debbie..:hug:

Yes, about asking for a referral.:)

mochagirl13 02-01-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 847060)
Awwww, so sorry Debbie..:hug:

Yes, about asking for a referral.:)

I agree with Sally. Before MS I had Graves disease and am now in remission. Don't delay on the thyroid stuff. MS by itself is bad enough, you need to get your thyroid in check before it gets worse.

Debbie D 02-02-2012 03:36 PM

DH & I have been reading up on Hashimoto's...I fit right in...swollen face (my pcp's nurse actually mentioned that last month when I saw her), sleeping, constipation, brittle hair, very dry skin, and a sudden swelling in my joints. I read that Hashimoto's patients' thyroid numbers go up and down due to the thyroid turning on and off.

I was going to call the endocrinologist I was seeing last year, but I wonder if my neuro would be better to call in case he knows of one who deals with MS patients with thyroid problems...

tkrik 02-02-2012 07:33 PM

I would ask for a referral. A good endo would be able to assess whether or not it's your thyroid or if you need a different medication. Sometimes it can be as simple as switching name brands on medications. I know a few people that when switched from Synthroid to Levoxyl did better and vice versa. Also, my mom can only take name brand Synthroid. If she does generic, her numbers go up and down like what you are experiencing. Are you on name brand or generic? That can make a difference too.

Anyhow, I hope you start feeling better soon and this issue gets resolved quickly.:hug:

ger715 02-02-2012 10:09 PM

Synthroid

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrik (Post 847727)
I would ask for a referral. A good endo would be able to assess whether or not it's your thyroid or if you need a different medication. Sometimes it can be as simple as switching name brands on medications. I know a few people that when switched from Synthroid to Levoxyl did better and vice versa. Also, my mom can only take name brand Synthroid. If she does generic, her numbers go up and down like what you are experiencing. Are you on name brand or generic? That can make a difference too.

Anyhow, I hope you start feeling better soon and this issue gets resolved quickly.:hug:

I have had throid disease for the past 15 years. Started with Hyper (Graves disease) went into remission and then a few years ago started with the Hypothroid disease. I have alway seen my endo every 4 to 6 months, getting blood work the week before so the throid disease could be properly treated.

When I first came down with the Hypothroid,(about 5 years ago) my endo prescribe synthroid. The parmacy eventually gave me the generic. I had read on the internet that the generic for Synthroid should Never be used. While on the generic, the blood work showed that I needed an increase in medication.

I asked my endocronogist to put Brand Only and let my stay on the same dose using Synthroid instead of generic. I started the synthroid and 3 months later went for blood work. I did not need an increase in meds. Do Not - Do Not use a generic for Synthroid. I have been on the same dose the past couple of years and always insist on the Synthroid.(Brand Only) The generic may have the same ingredients; but not the same amounts.

(Ger)

Debbie D 02-03-2012 10:32 AM

My pcp gave me a script for Levothyroxine, which was listed as a generic. I felt like *carp* on it and called and demanded Synthroid again.

As stated, I've been on alternating doses for 10 days. Every day that I've been on the lower dose, I sleep all day-I'm not kidding. At dinner on those days, I can't even finish eating, because I get exhausted just chewing.

I think I'll call my pcp about this right now...I can't go on like this. Added to this is a sudden onset of sever depression, even though I'm using my SAD light daily...

Poor DH...he never knows which wife will greet him at the door...:(

ger715 02-03-2012 10:38 AM

Endocronoligst

[QUOTE=Debbie D;847889]My pcp gave me a script for Levothyroxine, which was listed as a generic. I felt like *carp* on it and called and demanded Synthroid again.

As stated, I've been on alternating doses for 10 days. Every day that I've been on the lower dose, I sleep all day-I'm not kidding. At dinner on those days, I can't even finish eating, because I get exhausted just chewing.

I think I'll call my pcp about this right now...I can't go on like this. Added to this is a sudden onset of sever depression, even though I'm using my SAD light daily...

Poor DH...he never knows which wife will greet him at the door...:([/QUOTE

An endocronologist is who you need to see. Originally, my internist taking a general blood test several year ago discovered I had throid disease at that time. I was sent to an endocronologist and have been going to one for the past 15 years. luckily, my endo is also an internist, specializing in throid disease. You really need to see someone specializing in Throid Disease. There is no reason for you to continue going thru what is happeniing to you. Please get a referral asap.

(Ger)

Debbie D 02-03-2012 04:43 PM

I did call the pcp. By the time her nurse got back to me, the endo was gone for the day. I asked that my lab tests for the past months be faxed over to her.

But...looking over her website, I was concerned to find a lot of info about diabetes. I told DH about it...he suggested looking for one that specializes in thyroid issues, as stated in the previous post.

So I will see what I can find...sheesh.

On the higher dose today...worked out for almost an hour, haven't even taken a nap today:rolleyes:

ANNagain 02-03-2012 06:42 PM

Debbie,

I have a cold thyroid nodule that was too small to biopsy long ago. So the question was to take out my thyroid and take replacement meds the rest of my life or to skip the surgery and take the meds (Synthroid) to suppress the thyroid.

I choose the no surgery option.:wink:

The endocrinologist was adamant that I always get Synthroid and not a generic. The PCP doesn't think it matters much.

I figure the endocrinologist knows much more about these things.:)

My best to you,
ANN