NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   How are you wired? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/164283-wired.html)

bh_pcs 02-01-2012 04:48 PM

How are you wired?

Does anyone ever truly analyze how you are now compared with how you were before the accident?

I've been keeping tabs on my own behavior related to the symptoms, and I've found this out so far:

1. Increased stimulation leads to fatigue. However, certain types of stimulation that "refreshes" the brain doesn't do this.
2. Fatigue or improper sleep leads to anxiety.
3. Stress (of any kind i.e. deadlines at work) leads to anxiety.
4. Brain fog is a culmination of fatigue, poor sleep and stress.
5. Whenever I have brain fog, it also usually means I have headaches.
6. I think too fast periodically and need brain rest right afterwards.
7. My motivation can get overcharged by the lack of the brain filter and its impulsiveness. This also affects what I say.
8. Motivation sometimes override the rationale, fueled by impulsiveness. (I was never impulsive.)

The moment any one of these aren't present is when I know and feel that I'm getting better. Of course, it also means trying to reprogram myself to keep the bits I like, and others that I don't. ;)

Does anyone else think about your condition like this?

EsthersDoll 02-01-2012 04:52 PM

I can't evaluate my situation as well. My situation seems pretty complex. But I'm also recovering from 6 months of bed rest in which my muscles atrophied, so minimal activity affects my functioning level a lot.

BUT - I would like to know what types of stimulation refreshes your brain?

And what does your brain feel like when it's refreshed?

bh_pcs 02-01-2012 07:32 PM

The types of stimulation I found most helpful are those that help grow the brain - meaning reading self help books or even watching TED talks on their site.

Drawing also helps to work things out because I can see what I think (when I'm at work).

How it feels like when it's refreshing is that I don't feel fatigued afterwards and wanting to do more. My therapist worked out with me that there are activities that replenish the brain, and others that drain it.

roadrunner63 02-01-2012 09:19 PM

I'm almost 2 years out and reading books is still not an option; it wipes me out to read a page. Same for watching anything.

bh_pcs 02-02-2012 11:01 AM

One other thing to note, and I've realized this now, coming to terms with it. There are some symptoms that I've been denying, symptoms that I didn't believe I had.

Now I know I have it because of the frequency of the occurrences.

While it feels like going backwards, being aware of it actually lets me make attempts to control it. But of course, it doesn't work every single time.