NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Does pain after head swing necessarily mean another concussion (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/164802-pain-head-swing-necessarily-mean-concussion.html)

FarmerErnie 02-11-2012 09:29 PM

Does pain after head swing necessarily mean another concussion

So I'm sleeping on the train and my head drops (no contact with anything) I immediately wake up because the front of head starts hurting. Later on it feels swollen in the front. I notice my pupils start dilating and undilating. So I took some aspirin. This has happened to me more than a few times. Nothing major but I'm wondering if I've had more concussions along the way than the one that caused all this? I've had PCS for about 10 months now.

SpaceCadet 02-12-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerErnie (Post 850732)
So I'm sleeping on the train and my head drops (no contact with anything) I immediately wake up because the front of head starts hurting. Later on it feels swollen in the front. I notice my pupils start dilating and undilating. So I took some aspirin. This has happened to me more than a few times. Nothing major but I'm wondering if I've had more concussions along the way than the one that caused all this? I've had PCS for about 10 months now.

I don't really have an answer for you...I just know that once you have a concussion its easier and more dangerous for you to get another one. Are you experiencing a worsening of your symptoms or new symptoms? It doesn't sound like it was that serious....I dont know what else to say?

Mark in Idaho 02-12-2012 07:03 PM

There are many things that can cause an increase of PCS symptoms. Sleeping with my head hanging down is one of them for me. I wake up feeling miserable. In me, I believe it has to do with neck inflammation and blood supply.

Quick movements can also cause symptoms. Whether this is a new concussion or just an antagonizing of the past concussion, it would be difficult to tell. Realistically, it is a meaningless question since the issue is the return of symptoms, not the exact cause of the symptoms. The important point might be to notice a trend. If sleeping with your head drooped forward causes symptoms, then it would be good to try to avoid that. If a quick head movement causes symptoms, then it will be good to learn to avoid that, too. I am very intolerant of any quick head movements. I have learned to avoid shaking my head No.

So, try to find the trends that lead to symptoms. This will equip you to better manage your PCS.

My best to you.

FarmerErnie 02-12-2012 11:38 PM

Thanks for the answer. Yeah I guess that's my question, I mean when I do something for me to worsen symptoms, I mean do I add that to a concussion count? I do the same thing though Mark, I have to elevate my head when I sleep, if i've had any sort of exercise that day. I've been taking Aspirin, is that alright generally? One neurologist said it's not good for a healing brain and one said it was alright to take. It's amazing how little these doctors seem to know.