NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Copaxone's making my body look like the moon (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/165058-copaxones-body-look-moon.html)

Debbie D 02-16-2012 03:58 PM

Copaxone's making my body look like the moon

I am ready to demand to be taken off of Copaxone...I discontinued injecting in the thighs and back of the arms 2 years ago...thank goodness, because I have a huge swollen area in one thigh now, and craters in my hips and tummy that are really ugly.
I don't wear bikinis anymore, but I still look hideous...stupid drugs...:mad:

I'm going to talk to my neuro about this...if he ever calls back...:rolleyes:

Blessings2You 02-16-2012 05:06 PM

I've been on "break" from Copaxone for...almost a year? My neuro is probably going to fire me. I just can't bring myself to start up again. It wasn't the needles. I have permanent lumps and craters also, but I stopped because I was having mega-anxiety symptoms. Even wondered if I was having heart problems.

Dejibo 02-16-2012 06:35 PM

I too demanded to stop taking Copaxone. My MD pushed very hard to keep me on it. I begged for a year and finally reached my limit when I was riddled with lumps, bumps, craters, psoriasis, couldnt think, couldnt function, was exhausted and simply wasnt able to continue anymore. The MD was upset, but after I presented my arguments and said NO MORE! he stopped fighting me.

its been a while now since I stopped, and week by week I felt stronger, faster, more capable. The dents and craters are still there, but my hair came back in full and thick, my skin cleared up, my brain came back, the fog lifted, and I dont regret it for one minute.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose.

SallyC 02-16-2012 08:05 PM

Do what your heart and mind tell you to do. Copaxone is not a cure and it's hurting you more than it's helping you, right now.:hug:

Kitty 02-16-2012 08:14 PM

Have you tried LDN, Debbie? I think it's worth a try.

dmplaura 02-16-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie D (Post 852454)
I am ready to demand to be taken off of Copaxone.

Don't demand, tell them you're going off Copaxone if you've decided that's what your heart's telling you. Your body, your choice! :hug:

ewizabeth 02-16-2012 11:14 PM

I've got the craters too Debbie but none of the others work as well. I'm hoping one of the oral drugs will be safer eventually. I tried Tysabri and the interferons and the side effects were pretty bad. I have some scarring but I'm really careful about rotation. I've been on it for five years total. I hope Dr. Wynn has a good suggestion for you. :hug:

ANNagain 02-17-2012 10:33 AM

I am w Wiz- I did 5 years of A and then 5 of R and about 2 of half dose R. Went off because of depression- but they worked. Now completing my 5 year of C in March. I'm not messing w success.

SO gives the 4 shots I can't see well- even uses a headlamp to really check the skin. I give the anterior thighs and belly. We stopped the arms sometime in year 2 and found other places for those shots. I don't worry about the craters- I earned them.

Everyone is different as is the disease.
ANN

karilann 02-17-2012 02:36 PM

I am on Betaseron since 2002 and my injection areas looks like a bruised mine field. People ask me about the bruises and I know they are asking because they think my husband hits me! :p

carebear01 02-17-2012 08:42 PM

I too have multiple craters after injecting C for three years. After awhile I just used my inner thigh and abdominal area...figured I had the most fat in those places. My neuro took me off of C last fall due to heart palps. I was off only for a few months when he wanted me to restart it. I never did but I didn't tell him. My heart palps are very minor now and I wonder if they were because of the C. I have been thinking about retrying it. I called the nurse at shared solutions who told me I was no longer eligible for the pt assistance program and the C has gone up to $4000 per month. Well, this put the kabosh on my even thinking about going back on it. My deductable is $5000, 20% copay after deduct is met and a $7000 out of pocket max. I cannot afford it. After doing some research I see that half of Teva's yearly profit comes from there C sales. It's all disgusting!