NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue (https://www.neurotalk.org/fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue/)
-   -   New to the site and need advice (https://www.neurotalk.org/fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue/165285-site-advice.html)

jiardina 02-20-2012 06:03 PM

New to the site and need advice

Hi. I'm new to this site and hoping for some advice. (also posted in general) I have had severe headaches for quite awhile now. They started in 2009 and have gotten progressively worse over time. In Sept. of 2010 I was given a nerve block by my neurologist. It worked just fine. Then, this last Dec. (2011) I went back to have another one because the headaches came back with a vengeance. It did not work at all this time. I was miserable. At this point my pain was the entire back of my head, neck, shoulders, spine, lower back, shoulders, arms (down to my elbows feel like lead), hips and ankles. My dr gave me meds with codeine which did nothing. He then told me I had fibromyalgia. I am currently on 20 mg of cymbalta and have only been on it for little over a week. So far it has done nothing as well. I still hurt, I don't sleep well (due to my hips hurting) and really need some advice. Does this really sound like fibromyalgia? The only reason I can think of for the dose being so low is that I am also epileptic. Any ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

aussiemom 02-20-2012 10:06 PM

Can you get in to see a pain mgmt. doc? He could do trigger point injections. It may be a good idea to check in with a neuro about the headaches. Generaly with fibro you hurt ALL over, some say like flu, others say an 18 wheeler got them. For me, it's about school bus size. As for meds, 20 mg Cymbalta is low, I can't stay awake on it. It is frustrating, we each have our own mix that works. It's a lot of try this, nope, try that. Vitamin D3 seems to help, have doc order a blood draw for that. Hope this helps some.

jiardina 02-21-2012 09:37 AM

Don't know but will check. My next appt is march 6th. My dr had mentioned before either a chiropractor or acupuncture but I'm not crazy about the latter. My sister-in-law had also mentioned seeing a nerve dr. My dr is a neuro. I've been seeing him since I was a teen (I'm 43 now) for seizures. He originally gave me the occipital nerve block for the headaches but that's no longer working. I'm sick of trying different meds that don't work. I don't know what else to do.

tamiloo 02-21-2012 04:09 PM

You might want to see a Rheumatologist...for sure would be able to look into the Fibro diagnosis. Hope you find some answers with your next appointment.:hug: I did Cybalta and found no relief. It made me so tired, non-functional.

I have been having some really bad Fibro days...weather doesn't help!!

jiardina 02-26-2012 10:58 PM

Hi tamiloo!! Hope you have been doing good. I caught a cold from my husband and have spent the last several days fighting it. It's been miserable. I've noticed that when I stand for any amount of time my spine and lower back hurt that much more. I was telling my mom about it and she asked me if I remembered this and that from my childhood and when I said no, she filled me in. When I was little my feet turned all the way in to where my toes touched. The dr back then put me in special shoes (not leg braces) to straighten my feet out. Apparently, that's how my family knows when I'm tired now, my feet will turn slightly in. She also said I used to see a chiropracter at one time and that he had taken x-rays of my spine and that it is curved. She started looking for him when she found out I was having problems but no luck. It was sooo long ago. Wish she had gotten the x-rays from him back then. All I can do now is just tell my current dr about it and have him take new x-rays, I s'pose. I found a site that has beginners moves for yoga and think I'm going to try that. Have you ever done yoga and if so, does it help at all?

Dmom3005 02-27-2012 01:08 PM

Jiardiana

Hello, I'm Donna. And I have fibromyalgia. I was on cymbalta and it worked
very well for me. I lost my insurance and had to go off.

Now I'm on celexa's generic and its helping to some degree. Which surprises me because its not for pain. But I take gabapentin and other things too.

I do massage for my fibro, and it helps a lot. You might check into that.

I know nothing about yoga or chiro or acpuncture.

I know lots go to neuro's. I use my primary and a pain doctor. I like
the pain doctor.

WOuld recommend that too.

Donna:grouphug::hug:

biobabe 02-27-2013 08:00 PM

Mps

Sometimes, trigger points as part of myofascial pain (MPS), can lead to headaches. Have you checked into this at all?

Good luck!