NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Stellate Ganglion Block Any others? Success? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/166010-stellate-ganglion-block-success.html)

frenchfri1003 03-04-2012 03:45 PM

Stellate Ganglion Block Any others? Success?

I went for the Stellate Ganglion Block which is supposes to stop the sympathetic nervous system (SNS)to stop misfiring (I think). It was used as a diagnostic tool to see if in fact I have RSD. It was done with light sedation. No pain! After the injection, 30 minutes later the color and temp changes were amazing.The reddish was pretty much gone in my fingers and left hand resumed to a natural color and the temperature went from ice cold to average. Amazing! So they feel that I do have RSD. They recommend a series of blocks as there is a cumulative effect. (I think) I go back to the pain management dr on Tuesday. I was a bit groggy when I was talking to him so I want more clarification. From what I recall only 1x a month he preforms injections on a Saturday otherwise it is on a Friday. Any one else every have a SGB for RSD or any other nerve pain? If so, what were your results? How long did it take to see some long term results? How often did you get them, how long did they work each time? Any input is greatly appreciated from your personal experience. Thanks!

catra121 03-04-2012 04:34 PM

Just wanted to say congrats! I am so happy that the blocks were successful for you. This is very encouraging. Please remember to take advantage of when the pain is gone/lower to do physical therapy. Blocks are only one piece of the puzzle. But this is really fantastic. Blocks didn't work for me so I can't answer your other questions but I just wanted to let you know that this is wonderful news.

Nanc 03-05-2012 01:41 PM

So happy the block helped you! I think the blocks have to be administered early enough after diagnosis to be effective. A month is a long time to wait for another one.
I have had stellate ganglion blocks, quite a few!! I was initially diagnosed with RSD back in 1992 in the right side of my face. I was treated pretty aggressively with the blocks and medication. I received them once or twice a week and I cannot remember how many total were administered, but they helped! I was in remission for 13 years, then I had a bad flare in 2005 and it was treated with medication. Then in 2009, I hurt my right hand and everything changed! I developed RSD there and it seems it took forever to get a correct diagnosis (probably 1 1/2 yrs - don't get me started on these doctors - ugh!). My faced flared up then too. When I was finally diagnosed, they tried 6 blocks which didn't help much at all - it was really too late for them.
The RSD is now in my face, both hands, left arm and left leg. My new doctor tried blocks also (while I was awaiting approval for the SCS) and they didn't help much either. I wanted him to try them on the left side and he did, also did cervical and lumbar blocks...no relief until the SCS. I wanted him to rule out all treatments before getting the SCS.
I think that while the blocks this last go around didn't help so much of the pain, I do not have much discoloring of the effected areas. Except my hands tend to turn a purplish black color on part of them.

Good luck to you and I hope they continue to work for you!!
Nanc
:hug:

Dubious 03-08-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 (Post 857967)
I went for the Stellate Ganglion Block which is supposes to stop the sympathetic nervous system (SNS)to stop misfiring (I think). It was used as a diagnostic tool to see if in fact I have RSD. It was done with light sedation. No pain! After the injection, 30 minutes later the color and temp changes were amazing.The reddish was pretty much gone in my fingers and left hand resumed to a natural color and the temperature went from ice cold to average. Amazing! So they feel that I do have RSD. They recommend a series of blocks as there is a cumulative effect. (I think) I go back to the pain management dr on Tuesday. I was a bit groggy when I was talking to him so I want more clarification. From what I recall only 1x a month he preforms injections on a Saturday otherwise it is on a Friday. Any one else every have a SGB for RSD or any other nerve pain? If so, what were your results? How long did it take to see some long term results? How often did you get them, how long did they work each time? Any input is greatly appreciated from your personal experience. Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, I started in on SGB's at 6 wks post surgery (where the surgeon damaged nerves) and when all this started for me in 2008. My symptoms and pain were a raging inferno spiraling out of control until then. Oh, and the surgeon was not the one who diagnosed the RSD...in fact he was in denial, of course, until about 4 months post surgery. It took numerous blocks over weeks and even months (probably at a rate of once every week or two) to stop the horrible progression. At this point, I am not pain free and don't think I ever will be but am better than the "early" days. IMHO, the blocks are the only thing that really help...still do. In fact I had one yesterday...number 19 or 20???? I've lost count. For me, it is still worth it. But I do understand they are not for everyone. I get 2 or 3 every 4 months or so when my symptoms go to (you know where moderators) in a hand bag. I will continue to get them, as needed, until they stop working!

alt1268 03-08-2012 07:39 PM

So glad to hear your blocks are working. My last set of lsb's helped me a great deal. They did them 1 week apart. Congratulations:)

frenchfri1003 03-10-2012 01:15 PM

The SGB lasted for a few days. I asked if they can give me a SGB in more than one area and the answer was no. How i wish they can give me a lumber and a cervical one at the same time. My feet hurt to walk at times. OUCH. My hands also swell much more so in the am when I wake up and it is touch to make a fist. Any one else have that issue or is that just my arthritis? Can't tell one symptom form another. Hopefully it is not too late to deal with my feet also. First symptoms surfaced in November that I have documented. I may consult another recommendation.

alt1268 03-10-2012 02:18 PM

My problem is in my feet. In the am they hurt in the ankle joint which I think is a touch of arthritis at night the one turns black blue and both are sensitive to touch more in the evening.

ballerina 03-10-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alt1268 (Post 859753)
My problem is in my feet. In the am they hurt in the ankle joint which I think is a touch of arthritis at night the one turns black blue and both are sensitive to touch more in the evening.

Don't you just love the black blue. The first time the bottom of my foot turned that color I noticed it in the bath tub and tried to scrub it off thinking it was dirt. I had color issues for two years, particularly in my hand but since treating with tDCS I have not seen the black, blue, purple in my feet or hands.

Maybe tDCS would work for you too.

alt1268 03-11-2012 06:09 AM

ballerina,

I have been considering it. We will see has we go into spring. I had a good reaction to my last set of blocks and with my once a week whirlpool therapy. *(on my own) I am walking 10 times better and not using my rollabout. I have also started using a stationary bike. Can't go very far because the joint and the top of the foot start burning but doing as much as I can.

catra121 03-11-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alt1268 (Post 859935)
ballerina,

I have been considering it. We will see has we go into spring. I had a good reaction to my last set of blocks and with my once a week whirlpool therapy. *(on my own) I am walking 10 times better and not using my rollabout. I have also started using a stationary bike. Can't go very far because the joint and the top of the foot start burning but doing as much as I can.

Alt...that is GREAT news! I bet you are very excited to not need the rollabout. It sounds like you are making wonderful progress. Keep it up. :)