NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/166155-multiple-sclerosis.html)

Leslie Werner 03-07-2012 12:59 PM

Multiple Sclerosis

Hi,
I have had MS for 20 years now. Four years ago, I developed lesions that are very painful, on my scalp. They seem to travel in nerve pathways, and they seep and in the morning, the seepage has turned to crystals which feel like bits of glass. I have doctored for this with no success. Has anyone had this happen to them?:confused:

ANNagain 03-07-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Werner (Post 858846)
Hi,
I have had MS for 20 years now. Four years ago, I developed lesions that are very painful, on my scalp. They seem to travel in nerve pathways, and they seep and in the morning, the seepage has turned to crystals which feel like bits of glass. I have doctored for this with no success. Has anyone had this happen to them?:confused:

Hi Leslie! Welcome to NT.

I was thinking about your problem. At first, I immediately thought of shingles but that would resolve. So, something that you've had for 4 years- I wonder if it might be a kind of psoriasis? There is a pustular type of psoriasis.

I hope you find an answer and a good dermatologist.
ANN

SallyC 03-07-2012 01:27 PM

Hi Leslie, welcome to Neurotalk.:)

That sounds like Shingles to me. Have you seen your Doc?

Erin524 03-07-2012 01:46 PM

I had really bad eczema or psoriasis (cant remember which) about twenty years ago, I would get sore spots on my scalp that would get weepy with something, and it would get little clumps of something dried and crystal-ish in the mornings (the crystal-ish stuff had a red tinge to it, but wasnt blood, at least it didnt look like blood). It hurt. I dont remember what I did to get rid of it. Some sort of shampoo, but it took forever for it to go away. Think I had it for two or three years. Doctor told me it was a skin condition, I just dont remember what it was called.

dont remember if mine ran along areas where nerves run. I know I had it where the scalp meets the neck, and behind my ears and on the top of my head. I just had it a really long time.

I had really long hair at the time...no idea if the length of my hair had anything to do with it.

mochagirl13 03-07-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin524 (Post 858859)
I had really bad eczema or psoriasis (cant remember which) about twenty years ago, I would get sore spots on my scalp that would get weepy with something, and it would get little clumps of something dried and crystal-ish in the mornings (the crystal-ish stuff had a red tinge to it, but wasnt blood, at least it didnt look like blood). It hurt. I dont remember what I did to get rid of it. Some sort of shampoo, but it took forever for it to go away. Think I had it for two or three years. Doctor told me it was a skin condition, I just dont remember what it was called.

dont remember if mine ran along areas where nerves run. I know I had it where the scalp meets the neck, and behind my ears and on the top of my head. I just had it a really long time.

I had really long hair at the time...no idea if the length of my hair had anything to do with it.

I think it was ecezma. I had the same thing on my neck where it meets the scalp. I used to use selsun blue at the Dr.s instruction. It is something I have outgrown but I still get on insides of my elbow. I would suggest seeing a dermatologist. No need to suffer and I'm sure the warm weather will make it worse.

kicker 03-07-2012 04:33 PM

I get weird scalp and have found Neutragena T-Gel (Tar Soap) shampoo left on scalp a few moments before rinsing to help me..

Erin524 03-07-2012 05:15 PM

that was it...Neutrogena T-Gel is what I used to get rid of it...or at least control it for the several years that I had it actively breaking out on my head.

Also used to get it on the insides of my elbows. I used to put a little T-Gel on my arms and let it sit for a little bit and then rinse it off...that seemed to help. Hate the smell of T-Gel, but if you put the T-Gel in your hair and let it sit there for a couple of minutes, you could actually feel it working on whatever was going on on the scalp. Kind of tingly.

I think Selsun Blue is another shampoo that works similarly to T-Gel. Think the T-Gel is a little more powerful tho. (Selsun Blue smells better)

mrsD 03-07-2012 05:20 PM

yes, T-gel is wonderful.

What also happens in some people, is that the steroids, and stress (which increases cortisol in some patients), promotes
scalp fungal infections.

T-gel I have found to be superior to OTC Nizoral for this.

You can find a generic one at WalMart for a very reasonable price even.

Some people with elevated blood sugars who don't know it...
can also get this fungal scalp infection. It is very very common.

offinthedistance 03-07-2012 07:42 PM

Is this the kinda thing that people swear by getting into seawater to get rid of?

Mrs D; I just luuuurve those kitties of yours.

Erin524 03-07-2012 11:18 PM

I didnt have MS (or didnt know about it yet) when I had that skin condition, so I'd never had steroids before. (first time I had steroids was about 5yrs ago)

Only problem with T-Gel, other than the heavy chemical smell, is that it had a tendency to turn gray hair white...I've had some gray hair since I was about 17yrs old, and when I used the T-Gel for about 3 or 4 years, my hair really started turning white and gray in areas. (my hair, originally was brown). I usually color my hair now, but I took a break from the color last summer. I havent colored my hair for over 6 months now, so now I finally know what my natural hair color is. (brown with gray highlights...I'm only 42!)