NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Transcranial DC Stimulation for Parkinson's (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/166857-transcranial-dc-stimulation-parkinsons.html)

blueskies 03-21-2012 05:08 AM

Transcranial DC Stimulation for Parkinson's

Hello all,

I have been keeping my eye on the Transcranial DC Stimulation (tDCS) research for the past year, but a recent post in the RSD/CRPS forum really piqued my curiosity. There is not much research on the topic, but if you search PubMed you will find four to five articles on PD and tDCS. In one study, the authors conclude that the technology is so new that an optimal protocol cannot be determined, but that it is so safe and seemingly effective, that more research in the area is encouraged.

Most of the articles are placing it over the motor cortex (m1). If you search for "m1 tdcs" on PubMed, you will find that stimulating the area has all sorts of beneficial effects.

Has anyone experimented with tDCS or Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Parkinson's, and if so, what has been your experience?

-Jonathan

blueskies 03-21-2012 06:13 AM

I just wanted to clarify that when I said there isn't much research on the topic, I didn't mean on tDCS itself--there is a lot of research to show it is both safe and efficacious in many conditions. I meant to say there is not much research on Parkinson's and tDCS.

-Jonathan

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueskies (Post 862756)
Hello all,

I have been keeping my eye on the Transcranial DC Stimulation (tDCS) research for the past year, but a recent post in the RSD/CRPS forum really piqued my curiosity. There is not much research on the topic, but if you search PubMed you will find four to five articles on PD and tDCS. In one study, the authors conclude that the technology is so new that an optimal protocol cannot be determined, but that it is so safe and seemingly effective, that more research in the area is encouraged.

Most of the articles are placing it over the motor cortex (m1). If you search for "m1 tdcs" on PubMed, you will find that stimulating the area has all sorts of beneficial effects.

Has anyone experimented with tDCS or Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Parkinson's, and if so, what has been your experience?

-Jonathan

Frosty Snow Girl 06-08-2012 03:22 PM

Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation for Parkinson's

Hi all,
I just saw an article on Transcranial DC Stimulation for Parkinson's. I'm very excited about it for my dad who has vascular Parkinsonism (like GW Bush as I just found out in another article). Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation with this product from Fisher Wallace improved gait and stride in a small test of 10 people. My dad has tried everything to help his walking, but it just keeps getting worse.
The product/treatment has been around a long time for depression and anxiety disorders. I called Fisher Wallace and was told I could order the product from their website for around $500. The product has a 60 day return period if it doesn't work. Did anyone else see the study?
Carla

madamlash 06-10-2012 01:17 AM

clinical trial

I was involved in a clinical trial for this and it did nothing for me.... hopefully it works for others. But, I must chime in with my personal experience.