NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   SSDI CDR-review questions & more (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/167006-ssdi-cdr-review-questions.html)

untilthebell 03-23-2012 11:39 PM

SSDI CDR-review questions & more

For those who dont mind this question. What condition/conditions are you on SSDI for? How old are you? Do you still work while on SSDI? I ask because my husband is 42, and is most likely to be reviewed this yr. He is on SSDI for epilepsy and secondary condition -Arthritis. He does not work. And he takes all prescribed medications. My only fear is that SSA may say my husband is not following dosctors opinions when it comes to brain surgery. My husband was advised thru his neurologist to consider brain surgery to possibly cease his seizures. But my husband went thru 1 ( one ) brain surgery years ago to remove a tumor, and that surgery alone left him with a very poor memory and horrible headaches.

What is the main cause for one to lose their SSDI benefits?

finz 03-24-2012 01:54 AM

I don't 'know' but I would think/hope that the SSA would differentiate between someone who is declining an optional very risky procedure with only a possible improvement and someone who refuses an ordered/prescribed treatment (ie, a schizophrenic who refuses maintanence medications)

Babyboomer15 03-24-2012 08:30 AM

Does secondary condition mean that he's not fully disabled with arthritis? Is his arthritis-severe-if yes-then he shouldn't need to worry about his over condition as far as SSDI is concerned.

untilthebell 03-24-2012 01:16 PM

I actually wish I could answer that question. I dont know much at all about SSDI and secondary conditions. My husbands award letter has epilepsy listed as primary and secondary arthritis. In my opinion his arthritis is severe, yet who knows how SSA look at it. He does take percocet,mobic and a muscle relaxer daily for his arthritis.

I'm wondering how SSA will look at him come review time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babyboomer15 (Post 863581)
Does secondary condition mean that he's not fully disabled with arthritis? Is his arthritis-severe-if yes-then he shouldn't need to worry about his over condition as far as SSDI is concerned.

Babyboomer15 03-24-2012 02:11 PM

Call SSA and ask them about the arthritis. They could tell you if he is disabled with both impairments or a combination.

echoes long ago 03-24-2012 02:18 PM

it should be in the decision that was sent out with the approval letter.

Babyboomer15 03-24-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 863665)
it should be in the decision that was sent out with the approval letter.

My letter said that both impairments are severe but it didn't mention if I was disabled with one or both or a combination and I called them and they stated I was disabled with one and both.

ginnie 03-24-2012 04:29 PM

Hi untilthebell

The origional decision should hold. Your husbands origional problem is there, it just developed into "more" of a problem. I don't think they would force him to do a risky surgery, by threatening to take away his benefits. Our right to delcine a proceedure is still our decision to the best of my knowledge. ginnie

LIT LOVE 03-24-2012 09:07 PM

De ja vu?

The CDR process is not a big deal if he's not working, not going to school, his condition hasn't changed, and carefully fills out the form.

steve3d 03-26-2012 06:53 PM

The CDR will look at all the conditions that were present at the time of the previous allowance and all his current conditions. SSA can not require anyone to have major surgery, due to the potential risk. They will be looking to see if there has been any improvement in his condition(s), and if so, has this improvement resulted in the ability to work. Are his seizures still happening at the frequency they were when he was allowed?

Also, there has been quite a delay in doing CDRs. Although you expect him to be reviewed this year, it may not be for a couple more years. SSA has been working to catch up on CDRs, but with budget cuts, their first priority is handling new applications and reconsiderations.