NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Photo editor for Windows 7? (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/167047-photo-editor-windows-7-a.html)

Koala77 03-24-2012 06:48 PM

Photo editor for Windows 7?

My newest computer runs Windows 7 (what I am disliking more every day) and I've just discovered it doesn't include a photo editor..... not that I can find anyway.

Anyone using a FREE program, other than Photobucket, that you can recommend?

I have used Picasa and Photoscape in the past. I wasn't impressed with the latter, but maybe they've improved the program in the years since I used it before.

I'd love PhotoShop, but sadly my wallet won't allow that so I'll download Picasa again if no-one has any better suggestions. I just thought I'd check first.

mrsD 03-24-2012 07:04 PM

Did you look in "accessories"? I'll look around our laptop and
see what is in there. Dell usually has one included.

I'll post tomorrow.

But I have to admit... I really don't like Win 7.

Koala77 03-24-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 863765)
Did you look in "accessories"?

Yes I did thanks.... plus I ran a search. The only thing I have is a "snipping tool". Not what I had in mind.

I think I have a disc with Vista on it from my other laptop. I'll give Windows 7 a little longer and if I still don't like it, I may put Vista on it instead. I know a lot of people didn't like Vista, but I did.... and now after just a few months of Windows 7, I'm just about ready to toss it.

mrsD 03-24-2012 07:42 PM

Okay I am upstairs on our Win 7 laptop:

In accessories is PAINT--- so click on that and
look in the ? help spot...it is very small, on the upper right. If it were any smaller
it would be invisible IMO.... blech.

You can import digital pictures, resize them and crop etc. Just like a photo editor.
there is an import command from scanner or camera, just like my Corel program.

You will not find the word "photo".... they use the word "picture".

I just hate Win 7. Good luck.:p

Win 7 is really Vista "light".... they are very similar according to my son.

I have an old version of Paint shop Pro 9 that I use on all our units. It is 5+ yrs old now
and pretty outdated, but it does all the things I need to do and I am used to it.

Paint works pretty well, but you have to futz with it some and learn its ropes.

Lara 03-24-2012 07:43 PM

I have the software from an old camera here somewhere. Nikon view. I really liked that but I just read somewhere that it's not compatible with win7.

Microsoft have this free download. No idea what it's like.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w.../photo-gallery

Quote:

With Windows 7 and Windows Live Photo Gallery, it's easy—and fun—to edit, organize, and share your photos and videos. Windows Live Photo Gallery is part of Windows Live Essentials, a free download that also includes tools for movies, instant messaging, email, social networking, and more.
Quote:

Looking for Windows Photo Gallery? It's not included in Windows 7. You can view and print your photos with Windows Photo Viewer. To edit them, you'll need to install Windows Live Photo Gallery or a program from another company.

Lara 03-24-2012 07:46 PM

Wow, all this time and I had never seen that there, mrsD. Thanks!

mrsD 03-24-2012 07:48 PM

Oh, Thanks, Lara. It just figures that a thing EVERYONE needs is not included in Win7 and you have to go FIND it in cyberspace to get it. I am not in a good mood tonight, at all!
Best to go to bed now.

Lara 03-24-2012 07:53 PM

Get some rest. :hug:

I'm just downloading the Microsoft one now, Koala. I'll see what it's like this arvo.. It gave a choice of what I wanted to download so I ignored the blogging stuff and the msn stuff etc., and I just wanted the photo gallery and movie maker one, so gave the rest a miss. It sounds quite neat really. Does panoramas, can fuse shots, can make slide shows etc.. Usually I don't like downloading too much stuff because I'm on a pre-paid mobile broadband, but my daughter gave me hers and she's got a few gig on there for me to use by the end of the month so here goes.

Lara 03-24-2012 08:12 PM

Well, it's done. Half of the features I wouldn't use. It's already automatically lined up all my photos from my computer and put them in yearly batches. LOL :eek:

Koala77 03-24-2012 09:00 PM

Thanks mrsD... and sorry. I should have mentioned that I have Paint, and have used it but find it quite inadequate for the things I like to do with my photos.

I have the Microsoft one on my other laptop Lara, and it's fine for basic editing. I might just download that one again, or else I'll go back to Picasa. Thanks for your help ladies.