NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   coincidence or not-symptoms came back when I came down with the flu (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/167169-coincidence-symptoms-flu.html)

themaidquit 03-27-2012 02:38 PM

coincidence or not-symptoms came back when I came down with the flu

I have the flu and all of a sudden, I can't remember things, or where buildings are located. I am listing back and forth again. I have the same symptoms that I did after the concussion (they were getting better)

Also, my husband elbowed me in the left temple-is this more likely the cause rather than the flu.

Thank you

EsthersDoll 03-27-2012 03:10 PM

It's just a guess - but I'll bet the flu has just taken a lot of your energy to deal with it and that's what has caused you the relapse in symptoms. Just take it easy. Rest. See if you improve after you're all better from the flu.

Lucy 03-27-2012 04:58 PM

Hi there - I haven't posted anything for quite a while. My symptoms, age etc are a lot like Marks.

Yes whenever I get the flu or anything I am totally wiped out energy wise - headaches come back too. I also seem to have a worse dose of flus than I ever did pre accident and it now often becomes pneumonia or bronchitis and have often ended up on antibiotic ivs at my Doctors. he doesn't send me to hospital as I can't cope with the lack of sleep and noise that would be there.

Feeling depressed is all part of the deal when you are sick and tends to make me a bad patient - apparently I become nasty - I cringe upon hearing this!

Head injury is a lot about patience - at a guess I would say that not many of us would have been patient people prior to injury and now put too much pressure upon ourselves - after all what would we say to a friend in the same situation ( I may have once said - oooh get over it) - now I would sympathise.

At the moment I am meant to be steaming my kitchen floors - and here it is 11am I am in my pyjamas, have at least made the bed but nothing else - side tracked again!

Lynlee

Kenjhee 03-28-2012 12:08 AM

This is just a guess, but as such I wouldn't be surprised if that elbow retriggered TBI symptoms. My Chronic Fatigue Syndrome started with my head injury. In fact this is a fairly common way to get CFS. I believe that Chronic Fatigue is essentially an out-of-control immune reaction. I have no idea the mechanism, i.e. how a brain injury would trigger an immune system reaction, but the correlation is there as far as I'm concerned (I'm working on some theories, though.)