NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   cervical fusion related or nerve entrapment? (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/167322-cervical-fusion-related-nerve-entrapment.html)

jentaylor728 03-29-2012 06:02 PM

cervical fusion related or nerve entrapment?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All,
please excuse my 1 handed typing,,m in 2 much pain 2 use the left hand.

in 2006 i had c-5 to c-7 fused..b4 surgery had total body tingling/numbness.

all of a sudden 4 weeks ago my left hand was numb/tingling 24/7. now left foot & left hand is numb 24/7 w occasional right hand ,right foot, head & face numbness. i know have pain in my left hand, left forearm, & elbow.

Had an EMG 2 days ago..now the pain is really intense...guess the testing aggravated everything

The EMG was 1.5 hours long. In addition to the left hand and arm, he also tested the left leg, my neck, and back since I was still complaining of some neck pain and tingling/numbness intermittently in both feet and occasionally even in my head and right hand.

Diagnosis was Pronator Teres Syndrome (PTS)..i think kinda like carpal tunnel of the forearm instead of the wrist.
He was mysified about the numbness in other areas of my body.
He and I are also puzzled as to why I developed it.
I do nothing that requires repetitive motion and do not participate in any sports besides walking.

Next tuesday (4/3/12), I have a consultation with an Orthopedic surgeon (he actually operated on my broken ankle in 2004)...

I'm just really mystified as to why I developed this and what' going on with all of the other tingling/numbness....and if there is any way this is all related to the fusion? he says the c-5 stuff is just chronic pain??

Any thoughts??
thanks so much!
Jennifer

Jomar 03-29-2012 07:36 PM

Have you had xrays or MRI recently of the c spine and/or lumbar spine since both hands & legs are affected?

What was the reason for the fusion?

jentaylor728 03-29-2012 10:20 PM

info about my fusion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 865101)
Have you had xrays or MRI recently of the c spine and/or lumbar spine since both hands & legs are affected?

What was the reason for the fusion?

hello..thanks so much for answering!!!
i havennt had any xrays or an mri since 2008...

the fusion was done due 2 degenerative disk disease,,,surgery was moved up by a month and a half after i developed total body numbness..surgeon said that mri's looked like i had been in a major car accident.

if the emg shows nerve damage/entrapment is there still a chance it could b coming from the neck?

im thinking that my next step should b 2 get an mri?

what r your thoughts?

thanks 4 your input

jennifer