NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Food Court (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/)
-   -   Macaroni and Cheese (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/167387-macaroni-cheese.html)

Blessings2You 03-31-2012 02:15 PM

Macaroni and Cheese

What is your favorite mac and cheese recipe, or at least, which one do you use most often? Our favorite is very basic:

2 C dry elbow macaroni (approx)
4 T butter (I don't use margarine)
4 T flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 C milk (for company I use whole, otherwise 1%)
1# shredded cheddar cheese
cracker crumbs

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes

I always cook more pasta than I need, then give the extra to the chickens...I probably use a little over 2 C of dry mac.

What makes it "easy" for me is having it down to a science. I don't try to cook the pasta and cheese sauce at the same time. Cook and drain the mac, put it in the casserole dish, THEN do the sauce. Get everything measured and ready in advance.

Melt the butter (medium heat), add flour (mixed w/salt and pepper), whisk quickly before it scorches, then add the milk a little at a time, continually whisking. I use a non-stick pan and a rubber whisk to lessen the likelihood of burning the stuff.

Cook, stirring frequently, until milk is thick and just starting to bubble. Add cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Pour over macaroni and mix. Sprinkle top with cracker crumbs (I use plain, then a little seasoned salt).

I don't shred my own cheese. I buy a couple of 8 oz. packages of the sharp white cheddar when it's on sale. Keep it simple. The hardest part is standing there stirring!

Blessings2You 03-31-2012 02:19 PM

I tried three times to edit that: it's actually a DOUBLE recipe. We eat it for 4-5 days if we don't have company.

Kitty 03-31-2012 02:40 PM

Ingredients

1. 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
    2. 1 cup heavy cream ( light cream works fine, too)
    3. 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    4. 2 tablespoons butter
    5. 2 tablespoons flour
    6. 1/4 cup milk
    7. 1/4 teaspoon paprika
    8. 2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
    9. salt
    10. additional butter

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Boil elbow macaroni as directed on package. Set aside.
  3. Melt butter in saucepan.
  4. Blend flour, milk & cream. Cook stirring constantly until boil (2 to 3 minutes).
  5. Remove from heat and add paprika, pepper, and 2 C of grated sharp cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
  6. Stir in cooked elbow macaroni and salt to taste.
  7. Spoon final mixture into a small casserole dish.
  8. Garnish top with remaining grated sharp cheddar cheese.
  9. 'Dot' top with additional butter. (I usually dot with another 2 tbl of butter).
  10. Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes.

I usually just use half & half instead of the cream and milk combo. You can use all regular milk, too, but it tastes better with the half & half. I got this recipe from the Food.com website and it's always turned out good.

Fig4 03-31-2012 04:41 PM

Oh yum!! Thank you...I absolutely LOVE mac and cheese and am always looking for new ways to fix it.

Tetanus Toxoid 11-12-2012 06:15 PM

I like it with cheddar and jack with elbow macaroni, and chopped up prosciutto ham and a homemade Italian bread crumb sprinkle on top.

I've also tried man n cheese with Chipoltle and chicken, but nothing beats traditional most likely.

Sparky10 11-15-2012 10:01 AM

Nothing beats a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese! Homemade can be good for special occasions.

kicker 11-15-2012 10:28 AM

DH cuts up Kielbasa and puts green beans in homemade cheddar sauce dripping Mac and cheese. Delicious but can't be healthy so we don't have it much.

Alffe 02-18-2013 05:50 AM

We love Stouffers frozen Mac & Cheese. I buy the big party size and add some shredded cheddar on top. Makes two meals and we go hmmmmmm a lot. *grin

Kitty 02-18-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alffe (Post 958111)
We love Stouffers frozen Mac & Cheese. I buy the big party size and add some shredded cheddar on top. Makes two meals and we go hmmmmmm a lot. *grin

Alffe, I tried this kind not too long ago and everyone just raved over it! I was surprised and very happy at the same time because it's alot less work than what I normally make! ;)

jprinz99 03-13-2013 11:09 AM

we call this Gramma's Mac & Cheese-
shred 2 blocks of cheddar
set aside 1-2 handfuls for later

boil 1 box macaroni pasta to al dente, drain

in a bowl combine:
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk (use whole not skim)
2 eggs
scant 1/2 tsp mustard powder

in same warm pot mix the pasta (not the 2 handfuls you set aside)

at this point it clumps up and you will swear I led you into a disaster! Fear not, the cheese will melt and magic happens (turn burner on lower setting if needed).

Pour into a pyrex/casserole dish that is sprayed with Pam.

Slowly pour on milk/cream/egg combo, top it all with the remaining cheese and some breadcrumbs.

Cover in foil and cook for 45 mins. Take off the tinfoil and cook for another 15 mins (total 1 hour).

*I briefly set my dish under broiler as we like a rather cruchy, brown top - if you do this watch closely as it will burn the cheese when you aren't paying attention.:eek:

this makes a less gooey type of mac& cheese. It freezes well, reheats great, etc. We have even made it in muffin tins which I pop into freezer bags - this way the kids just nuke one for a fast supper. Hope you try it and like it!