NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   I'm finally getting the help I need!!! :) (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/167678-im-finally-getting-help.html)

SpaceCadet 04-05-2012 05:47 PM

I'm finally getting the help I need!!! :)

I just met with the director/case manager of the Nevada Community Enrichment program.

They accepted me!!!

The program offers a bunch of different classes and therapies to help people with brain injuries recover and get back to work, and life. I'm going to be doing speech therapy, counseling (to work on coping skills and anxiety), vocational training and...something else I can't remember. Oh well.

Its going to be intense. I think its 6-8 hours a day, Monday through Friday. So this is going to be a huge test for my overstimulation issues. Just by seeing some of the other people there, I feel so much more humble and blessed that my injury wasn't more severe.

They've got a physiatrist (who is also trained in psychiatric and psychological things) on campus that specializes in brain injuries.

Best of all...its free of charge to those without means of paying for it. AND, they are giving me a 6 month bus pass for public transportation.

Why didn't someone refer me to this place sooner???

I hope everyone is doing well in their recovery.

God bless,

Nick

HeadStrong 04-05-2012 05:55 PM

That's GREAT news Nick! Hopefully this is the beginning of a whole new world of resources opening up for you :-)

Lightrail11 04-05-2012 05:59 PM

Yay, that's awesome. As we chatted about on another thread I think speech therapy is critical for those of us recoveraing from brain injury. For me, hope and support were critical too; sounds like from your earlier posts these were in short supply for you so this sounds like a great turn of events which is likely to result in much better outcomes than your past experiences. I'm really pleased for you.

PlasticMonkey 04-05-2012 06:09 PM

Thats AWESOME news man (= glad things are finally going good for you! Hope you start feelin much better than before, think positive!

emme727 04-05-2012 07:09 PM

that is wonderful news for you! :) Please keep us updated on how this works for you.

ginnie 04-05-2012 07:12 PM

Hey nwsmith

Great News! You finally get some help! now you are getting somewhere. Glad this happened for you. I too got some help today. Get an MRI on monday. The othopedic doc. didn't agree with anything my ankle specist told me. Now I get to find out what is really wrong. He also told me not to worry, that he would help. Isn't it nice to get good news for once. Good for both of us! ginnie:D

Mark in Idaho 04-05-2012 07:13 PM

I recommended you to that place months ago. I mentioned how you needed to find a case manager and the other services they offer and specifically mentioned that place and posted a link.

But, it is difficult to fully comprehend information on a Blackberry with such a small screen. That would also make it difficult to remember. We don't remember what we don't comprehend.

SpaceCadet 04-05-2012 07:34 PM

Thank you everyone.

ginne, Good for you. I'm glad you are getting some relief as well.

Mark, I've been down in the dumps for so long...I remember you recommended NCEP to me before...but I couldn't pull myself out of the abyss to do anything.

I didn't think anything was going to help me. I tricked myself into thinking I was way more screwed up than I am...Neurological disease, poisoned, unable to make a sandwich...yeah, I was tortured by my thoughts. I'm still suffering from cognitive problems and overstimulation issues...its not ALL psychological, but now that I'm "ALIVE", they aren't nearly as bad as I thought.

The director told me he didn't see anything wrong with me besides my word-finding difficulties. I told him just wait until my brain shuts down mid-conversation...and it did. I had to take a 2 minute, closed eye break in the middle of the interview to get myself back on track. He waited for me patiently (kinda made me feel weird because he was watching me the whole time). I was a space cadet after I left there and still am now...but I'm dealing with it well.

It feels good to be alive again.

Mark, and everyone else here, you helped me a tremendous amount during my time of need. I truly believe God directed me to NeuroTalk. If it wasn't for this place...I don't know where I'd be right now.

Nick

MommaBear 04-05-2012 10:56 PM

Wonderful news. Very happy for you and sooo glad things are turning around and working out for you! :-)

Scott in Fenton 04-06-2012 12:08 AM

This is great news! Hopefully it will relieve some stress just knowing that you were accepted, and you will finally have someone on your side.