NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Confused by quick diagnosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/167867-confused-quick-diagnosis.html)

dcb123 04-09-2012 08:48 PM

Confused by quick diagnosis

After two visits to a Body movement disorder clinic I was identified with PSP.
How? Why? All studies I have done indicate the major signal for identifying PSP is Eye movements.
My family, friends and my Optometrist have all assured me that I do not display any unique of strange eye movements.

I certainly agree that I have something that creates balance problems. My thoughts were toward Parkinson's!

On the second visit my Neuro had another Doctor with him. Near the end of the session my Neuro motioned the other doctor to come over to where I was sitting. He pointed to my forehead and said something to the effect "do you see that crease? "It is a sure sign of eye lifting".
The other Doctor said nothing, My Neuro sat down and wrote "PSP" Parkinson "Plus"and gave me a prescription for Dopamine.
After taking DOPAMINE. (Levoda/Carbidopa) my life has improved greatly. I can walk around the house with comparative ease and without a cane.

I was bit confused as to what he meant by PSP. However researching the internet has really given me food for thought.
I visit him again in about two weeks and I think I either want a full explanation or a second opinion.
Any thoughts?
David
Canada

made it up 04-10-2012 05:11 PM

David

David,
Not sure if I can be of much help to you as my knowledge of progressive supranuclear palsy is limited.
That's a good thing, your positive response to levodopa and improved mobility!
Drs can be wrong in their initial diagnosis and also in the rate of disease progression over what can often be an extended period.
Hang in there and perhaps try and take it one day at a time.
Easier said than done but worth a try!.
Regards.

shetawk 04-10-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb123 (Post 868217)
He pointed to my forehead and said something to the effect "do you see that crease? "It is a sure sign of eye lifting".

David, my father had billions of creases on his forehead and lived into his 80s with no sign of Parkinson's.

Have you had hair testing for minerals/metals and a Lyme test done yet by a good Lyme lab?

Your reaction to the meds indicates low dopamine but it doesn't have to be Psp. Lyme forums are full of people who were misdiagnosed and lost years of their lives being treated for conditions they didn't have.

The worst thing you can do is worry. That will pull you down. If you can, take a look at the video on this site and try the position. It's amazing and will distract you from gloomy thoughts while helping your energy. http://springforestqigong.com/index....-healing-power.

Choose a thought, mental picture, prayer to replace worrying when you catch yourself doing it...after you have one good pity party. Take care. Lynn

lindylanka 04-12-2012 11:31 AM

It sounds as though you have a good response from sinemet, so it is likely you have something on the PD spectrum. That this should be PsP is not usually something that is diagnosed in the twinkling of an eye, or a few lines over it. It is usually, like dx for PD, something that happens over time, with observation, as differences begin to differentiate it from idiopathic PD. In PSP I believe that it is not eye movements so much that are different, but the way become limited in movement, though don't quote me on it, I only go on what I have learned through reading. The main limitation is on looking downward, as far as my reading tells me. I have not before heard of creases over the eyes, though I suppose they could occur if one had to raise them in order to control the limitations. But people raise their eyebrows ro all sorts of reasons.......

Ask your doctor for a fuller explanation of his findings. If they do not ring true, or are not substantiated with anything other than the creases, then go for a second opinion. Do understand though that all the PD spectrum disorders are difficult to diagnose, and take time and expertise. Some of us have 'iffy' diagnoses after years of movement problems and treatment.

Goog luck with finding answers. Feel free to post back again with any questions, there are some great people here, and news members are always welcome.

Lindy