NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Nerve conduction test Thursday (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/167947-nerve-conduction-test-thursday.html)

Stillfighting 04-11-2012 07:21 AM

Nerve conduction test Thursday

Well the 2 or so year follow up nerve conduction test I requested is coming up. Is there anything I should request or ask about since I won't see the neurologist for a long time after that. Should I ask him to also check arms and hands.
Is there any risks to this test other than the minor electricution pain. After a rough end of Winter my condition though I wouldn't say good does not seem to have progressed aggressivly.
Or am I just getting used to numb feet, avoiding tight shoes? Anyway I digress.

Dr. Smith 04-11-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillfighting (Post 868687)
Well the 2 or so year follow up nerve conduction test I requested is coming up. Is there anything I should request or ask about since I won't see the neurologist for a long time after that. Should I ask him to also check arms and hands.
Is there any risks to this test other than the minor electricution pain. After a rough end of Winter my condition though I wouldn't say good does not seem to have progressed aggressivly.
Or am I just getting used to numb feet, avoiding tight shoes? Anyway I digress.

Hi Still,

I always ask for (insist on :rolleyes: ) copies of anything/everything for my own records (test results, reports, communications between doctors, etc.)

Asking to check the arms & hands depends on whether you have any symptoms or other reason, what the neuro's opinion might be, and who's paying for the test. Personally, If I didn't have any symptoms (and I currently don't) I'd probably skip the arms/hands until I had a reason, then go back and have thm tested if necessary. OTOH, if something in the hands develops, the reason might probably be the same as for your feet, so it might be redundant. Again, something to ask your neuro (or somebody here might know another reason).

I know exactly how you feel though... I digress a LOT! :rolleyes:

Doc

Kitt 04-11-2012 09:46 AM

I believe the neurologist or whoever does the test will do the testing wherever he/she thinks they should.

Stillfighting 04-11-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitt (Post 868743)
I believe the neurologist or whoever does the test will do the testing wherever he/she thinks they should.

That may be true but he is only doing the test because I thought after almost 3 years a comparison may be in order. This was not his idea. thanks everyone....

mrsD 04-11-2012 02:03 PM

Good luck, I hope you find some improvement! ;)

Kitt 04-11-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillfighting (Post 868832)
That may be true but he is only doing the test because I thought after almost 3 years a comparison may be in order. This was not his idea. thanks everyone....

Guess I read your other post wrong or something. You were asking if he should check your arms and hands. I must have misinterpreted what you were asking and I do not know the whole story.

Hope you get some answers.

Stillfighting 04-12-2012 10:49 AM

Test done

Well I don't remember the needle part of the test. Ouch! Result was that the increase in condition was very minimal. More so in the sensory or responce area. Something though made him want to see me again in August. I think he is baffled by my case and is wondering if something has been missed.