NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   PCS or Neck problem? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/168032-pcs-neck.html)

Valleybob 04-12-2012 09:47 AM

PCS or Neck problem?

Hi guys, yesterday I went for a massage from a therapist who does "total body modification" basically it's very gentle and light massage.

She did my neck and skull and at one point in the upper neck I told her I felt like my body was floating just by her touching certain areas.

To me this seems pretty obvious that there's a problem with my neck. Maybe this is why I have such a hard time lifting things. Even dishes bring on sensation of pressure/dizzy symptoms in my head.

But I don't really have neck pain, just very sensitive to touch and vibrations (ie kids jumping in the house, bumps in the car, hair clipper getting a haircut).

The doc did a CT of my head but not my neck, all appeared fine of course.

Jingles1987 04-12-2012 10:02 AM

I saw a few different neurologists because I was hoping to have someone help with the dizziness that I felt, and I had some of the same symptoms, but I had most of them tell me "oh it's just because of the headaches" and when I said I thought there might be something wrong with my neck one of them told me there was nothing wrong with my neck.

So, frustrated, I had my PCP order an MRI to check to see if there was anything wrong and it turns out that I have 3, yes 3!, bulging discs in my neck from my car accident. I tell this story simply because I wanted to recommend possibly getting an MRI of your neck to see there might be something going on there. MRI's are not fun if you're claustrophobic or have bad anxiety but they might reveal something that a CT wouldn't.

Mark in Idaho 04-12-2012 11:49 AM

Many have found help from an Upper Cervical Chiropractor (NUCCA.org) who specializes in the very find adjustments to Atlas (C-1). The classic 'twist and pop' chiros are usually too aggressive for this area. Some Physical therapists have some gentle manipulation and traction techniques that help with this, too.
Be sure to ice the upper neck before and after these treatments.

HeadStrong 04-12-2012 12:39 PM

Having had similar symptoms, they are going to do an MRI Cspine next week.

Aside from the horrible headaches, I have the numbness/pins and needles feeling in my arms/hands (sometimes legs/feet) and weak arm muscles. Doc thought it was the medicine at first, now he's not sure.

Also have cold hands/feet. (but warm heart):winky:

EsthersDoll 04-12-2012 03:21 PM

My neurologist also ordered an MRI of my spine and they discovered bugling disks caused by the auto accident I was in too. Apparently they were so bad that neck surgery was recommended to me by a neurosurgeon and my neurologist still always asks me how my neck is doing when I see her. I've been trying to avoid neck surgery... we'll see.

Mark in Idaho 04-12-2012 06:19 PM

I've had some bulging disks in the lower C's but they were not worth the complications of surgery.

My Chiro and Physical Therapist have been a big help. I used to have numbness down my left arm but the treatments to help the C's get back in place has resolved that. I can mess it up by sleeping on my left shoulder but some good exercise/movement of the effected areas and they settle back down.

The Chiro did deep massage followed by chiro stuff. The PT did gentle traction with gentle manipulation/mobilization.

Valleybob 04-12-2012 06:52 PM

Thanks for all the info and your replies, I'm seeing neurologist soon and will ask for MRI.

Just out of curiosity what is the treatment for a bulging disk?

Soccergal 04-12-2012 09:45 PM

When I had my MRI, my neck was done also. The neurologist said I had "significant" compression on my spinal cord from cervical stenosis, but said nothing can be done. He was a real *** by the way (long story). He said he usually only sees this in people who are in their 80's.

I didn't buy the, "nothing can be done" bull. I saw my chiro much later in the year and in just a few active release treatments (working with neck and shoulder muscles), all tingling in my hands was gone. Turns out there was vascular compression from super tight muscles and none of it was from the compression on my spinal cord, yay!

I still deal with lots of PCS stuff, but at least this was taken care of! :)

XSoccergal

EsthersDoll 04-13-2012 12:35 PM

I had months of PT and I've been seeing a chiro regularly for more than a year to help with it too. I just had my first real massage a couple of weeks ago to help with it too. I'm thinking more might be in order.

I used to be very strong and toned and very flexible to boot. I'm hopeful that in coming years I'll be able to get into better shape which may help.