NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Today... (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/168118-today.html)

SpaceCadet 04-13-2012 08:23 PM

Today...

...was a much better day for me. I survived the whole day at NCEP without shutting down. I avoided the classes with lots of people and talking, made sure I had an escape route in case I became overstimulated and everyone was just so kind and understanding of my situation.

I scored really good on my vision test, I was told that I have 20/15 vision, which is pretty much perfect. I spent some time with the speech pathologist, who I must say is a very wonderful person. The tests she gave me showed that I was pretty high functioning. The only things I struggled with were delayed memory and of course, becoming overstimulated...which is getting better everyday.

I was classified as "higher functioning".

Of course, I'm mentally fatigued now that I'm at home...but, overall, I'm very happy with my performance today. I think I've finally turned a new leaf and I'm headed in the right direction. My attitude is positive and I'm motivated to get better.

Thank you all for putting up with my crap over the past few months. You guys are all amazing and strong people...and I hope you all continue to get better and move on with your lives.

Time for a nap.

Nick

MommaBear 04-13-2012 11:44 PM

Fantastic!! I knew you could do it!! Maybe it's the new anti-seizure medication, or maybe you're more confident now, maybe some of both, but CONGRATS!! Very happy for you! :)

EsthersDoll 04-14-2012 10:06 AM

That's great news Nick! :D Probably the "higher functioning" is why the symptoms you are dealing with are so bothersome to you according to Mark's previous posts that people who are higher functioning are usually bothered more when they can't achieve what they're used to be able to mentally.

SpaceCadet 04-14-2012 06:56 PM

I was talking about that with my speech therapist the other day. She was telling me that the clients with more severe injuries don't even know they have any problems. She was saying that when she talks to them, and asks what they are struggling with, they reply by saying "I don't have any problems. What are you talking about??"...Her take on my situation is that I was so messed up in the beginning, that I didn't even notice my cognitive troubles. Now that I'm getting better, I'm starting to realize every little change in my cognitive functioning.

I think there is some truth in that. However, I do believe that I was much better off in October than I am now. It's still a mystery why I'm no longer able to watch TV and play video games...and why I'm becoming more overstimulated faster now than I was back then. Oh well, I'm just going to remain consistent with going to NCEP and hopefully the intensity of the program will increase my threshold.

Nick

EsthersDoll 04-15-2012 11:06 AM

I think she might be right too! That's very insightful of her. I'm really glad you are finally getting some good therapy.