NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Home & Garden Talk (https://www.neurotalk.org/home-and-garden-talk/)
-   -   Anyone ever grow zucchini/courgettes? (https://www.neurotalk.org/home-and-garden-talk/168125-grow-zucchini-courgettes.html)

Lara 04-14-2012 03:21 AM

Anyone ever grow zucchini/courgettes?

I've never grown this vegetable but have two small plants in my garden now.

They're only about 2 foot but look as if they're a creeper (like a pumpkin or watermelon maybe?) but the stalks seem extremely fine and delicate at present. There's no way I could even tie them to anything right now.

For that reason I wonder how the plant supports the weight of the fruit? They also appear to be very fast growing which looks as if it may be a problem and at the rate they're growing I'm going to have a herb garden and LAWN filled with zucchini plant. Which would be fine if I had somewhere to walk. :)

I've checked heaps of garden sites online but have varying information. Maybe it depends on the type of zucchini. ?

Should I be growing them on a trellis of some type or what? Some sites say yes, and some say no.

Dejibo 04-14-2012 06:50 AM

mine grow very fast. That sounds like what they are.

Lara 04-14-2012 08:10 AM

Thanks. :)

I'll let everyone know if they start to remind me of Day of the Triffids. It's starting to feel that way already. :o

They are planted right near my front door and headed my way.

Kitt 04-14-2012 08:55 AM

I believe they spread along the ground way out just like cucumbers do. They will take over if they do not have room. Our cucumbers even went out of the fence we had. So we took up that part of the fence and let them go. :)

Blessings2You 04-14-2012 09:06 AM

We plant them where they have LOTS of space to ramble. The joke around here is "Don't leave your car doors unlocked during zucchini season!" Because theoretically, people with baskets of extra zucchini will sneak around leaving them in cars.

At our house, there's no such thing as "extra" squash. When the zukes are small, I slice them thin and sautee them in butter, oil, or even non-stick pan spray. Sometimes with onions. Yum.

I don't do much baking/cooking anymore, but I used to make zucchini bread, cake, muffins from them, or chop them up and cook them with tomatoes, rice and ground beef, etc.

And when we end up with more than we can eat, the chickens LOVE them! So none go to waste.

Lara 04-14-2012 09:52 AM

Drat

OK then. I'm in serious trouble!

So tomorrow morning I'll be moving the young ones into a different area.

If I change my mind and tie them up to a trellis, I'll let you know. I just don't want them to touch the ground when they mature.

Jomar 04-14-2012 01:34 PM

If they are the normal Zucchini and not some new ultra spreading type - they will get about 2-3' tall and be about 4-5' around, so they do need room.
Some of the newer types are more compact and they do have a climbing one out usually found in specialty garden stores/sites.

but yes pick them while small and slender - they grow over night it seems :)and double the size fast LOL

If you miss a few , the next time you see it - it is huge
The stems will break/crack easily, they are much more brittle than cuke vines.

saute, stir fry, I even slice very thin and put on homemade pizza, zuc layers in lasagna, cassaroles... love it - even raw w/ ranch dip

Lara 04-14-2012 08:11 PM

Thanks to everyone for that great info..

4 to 5 feet around is a worry considering where I planted them. :o

I was raining earlier so the ground is nice and damp. I'll have to move one of them.

I love zucchini. I use them in lots of things so that's why I thought it'd be nice to have fresh ones in the garden. I don't like it overcooked though. I like to cut them in half and steam them quickly so they're still firm and then make a mixture of maybe chopped tomato, a little bacon and some grated cheese (endless filling ideas really) on the top and then under the grill.

Lara 04-16-2012 06:21 PM

Just letting you all know that on Sunday I removed the two really fast growing zucchini plants and gave the herbs their garden back.

I put the zucchinis in two large pots that are sitting above a retaining wall. I figured they can drape down the retaining wall and that way I can keep my lawn from being overtaken. I don't have much space here. They survived the move very well and are still growing so fast it's somewhat unreal. Quite amazing to watch actually. I wish I had more room for vegies.

Alffe 04-17-2012 05:11 AM

You've got me so curious Lara...may have to try that too, but not in my herb garden...thanks for the warning! Have resisted planting anything because last night we had another freeze. The sack of perennial bulbs I bought are starting to sprout in the bag so am feeling some pressure to get them in the ground. I have a raised bed herb garden and the sage, mint, chives are all up and spreading...want to get rosemary and sweet basil in but they don't like the cold.