NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   More evidence for the brain benefits of exercise (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/168613-evidence-brain-benefits-exercise.html)

greenfrog 04-23-2012 11:54 AM

More evidence for the brain benefits of exercise

"The value of mental-training games may be speculative...but there is another, easy-to-achieve, scientifically proven way to make yourself smarter. Go for a walk or a swim. For more than a decade, neuroscientists and physiologists have been gathering evidence of the beneficial relationship between exercise and brainpower. But the newest findings make it clear that this isn’t just a relationship; it is the relationship. Using sophisticated technologies to examine the workings of individual neurons — and the makeup of brain matter itself — scientists in just the past few months have discovered that exercise appears to build a brain that resists physical shrinkage and enhance cognitive flexibility. Exercise, the latest neuroscience suggests, does more to bolster thinking than thinking does. ..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/ma...general&src=me

Mark in Idaho 04-23-2012 12:46 PM

I was just talking with a rep of the Nedley Clinic that Eowyn has mentioned. They use 10,000 steps per day as the minimum level of exercise. That is equivalent to walking or running 5 miles. Exercise appears to be the foundation of their program.

camyam73 04-23-2012 12:48 PM

this Sounds great... but I find even a little bit of walking around at this point triggers a headache... And then once my head hurts, the jostling that walking causes just exacerbates the issue....I couldn't even imagine exercise!

greenfrog 04-23-2012 01:17 PM

I think a distinction needs to be made for people recovering from PCS.

- First you need to rest (physically and mentally) in order to get symptom-free (or to a relatively low level of symptoms). You really have to curb or limit exercise during this phase if it's exacerbating symptoms. This may take days, weeks, or months.

- Then you can start adding exercise (likely something gentle like slow walking with cushioned shoes, or some very easy stationary cycling, to start).

I don't think you can do a lot to speed up the first (ie, resting) stage of recovery, apart from the usual suggestions (getting lots of rest, good nutrition, limiting stimulation, minimizing stress, etc). But there is no hard and fast rule. I am at 11.5 months PCS and was barely able to walk initially - even a brief walk outside could make me feel horrible. Now my pace is better and I'm typically doing a couple of walks a day (up to 35 mins and counting) in addition to household chores and various forms of cognitive work. I'm feeling a lot better overall but it has been slow and steady as she goes.

camyam73 04-23-2012 01:22 PM

thanks... I can do a little at a time, and I try to.... I need to be careful about where I walk... malls and grocery stores are simply too much for me. and if I do even a little too much I still have huge setbacks. Thanks for the advise though, I appreciate it!

Lightrail11 04-23-2012 03:36 PM

Yesterday's entire NYT Magazine was dedicated to the brain. A little off topic for the TBI/PCS thread but there was a thought provoking article on antidepressants and new research in the field of depression, an article on whether it’s possible to increase “fluid” intelligence (IQ), and use of psychedelic drugs for terminally ill patients as well as the afore mentioned article on the benefits of exercise.

Kenjhee 04-23-2012 04:44 PM

Like Camyam, I also suffer from activity-triggered headaches (migraines). Unfortunately, you can't tell if you've done too much until it's too late, as migs occur in a general relaxation phase post-activity.

It's too bad, too as I love exercise (I'm a martial artist).

camyam73 04-23-2012 05:38 PM

Kenjhee - YES! I don't even realize that I am going too far, as most often I feel the effects well after, sometimes not until the next day, when I am suddenly back on the couch and unable to function!

HeadStrong 04-23-2012 07:25 PM

I am just now slowly adding in exercises from my Vestibular Therapy. These are low impact core strenthening training steps that gradually progress. I do 7different exercises 2-3 times a day and also try to walk 15 minutes.

This a huge improvement to where i was even a couple of weeks ago. Before my medicine was doubled, the Migraines were so severe, this would not have been possible.

I am battling the pins/needles and weakness in my arms/hands, along with several other symptoms, but I am doing it slowly after 6 months of being semi-sedentary. Boy do I feel it afterwards!

Kenjhee 04-24-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camyam73 (Post 872765)
Kenjhee - YES! I don't even realize that I am going too far, as most often I feel the effects well after, sometimes not until the next day, when I am suddenly back on the couch and unable to function!

Yes, sometimes it's not till the next day! When I'm resting or doing light work. There's usually little or no warning. One minute I'll feel fine, like I've never been sick a day in my life; the next minute, I start getting that tight feeling upstairs, and I know what's about to hit (at that point it's decision time as to whether to start burning Imitrexes).

Sucks to be us, yeah??!:rolleyes: