NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Arnold Chiari Malformation & Syringomyelia (https://www.neurotalk.org/arnold-chiari-malformation-and-syringomyelia/)
-   -   After surgery issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/arnold-chiari-malformation-and-syringomyelia/168728-surgery-issues.html)

sara052420 04-25-2012 11:51 AM

After surgery issues

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced severe neck pain about 7 months AFTER decompression surgery?
my boyfriend had his surgery, felt great until about a week ago. he started complaining about neck pain & he doesn't complain unless its EXTREMELY bad...

also if anyone knew of any good doctors that specialize in chiari in the houston area?

Thanks!

razzle51 04-27-2012 11:35 AM

why doesnt he go back to the dr that did his surgery??
Dr. Robert Grossman

Neurosurgery

6560 Fannin St
Suite 900
Houston, TX 77030

res5562965 04-27-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara052420 (Post 873334)
I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced severe neck pain about 7 months AFTER decompression surgery?
my boyfriend had his surgery, felt great until about a week ago. he started complaining about neck pain & he doesn't complain unless its EXTREMELY bad...

also if anyone knew of any good doctors that specialize in chiari in the houston area?

Thanks!

I had Chiari decompression surgery done February 2011. The surgery and recovery went very good but I do wonder if my neck will ever be the same. I think it will always be weak. If I do anything to irritate it, something as simple as looking upwards, I will have severe pain for several days. I just wonder if maybe your boyfriend did something different that made the pain reoccur.(without even realizing it) I had my surgery at Emory in Atlanta, GA by Dr. Daniel Barrow. Very satisfied with the surgery because prior to having it I stayed in the bed sleeping all the time. I was diagnosed with Chiari I & Arnolds Chiari in November 2009 and had to have a shunt put in prior to having the Chiari surgery. The shunt has been a nightmare for me (8 total surgeries @University Hospital in Augusta, GA) on that alone) but since having the decompression surgery at Emory I am doing much better. I do have to take pain medicine daily but I feel blessed to be where I am today. Hope this helps in some small way.

sara052420 05-01-2012 06:13 PM

we are in the process of going back to the doctor that did his surgery but he is very busy so his appointment isnt for another week or so which is not helping as far as the pain goes. he's a machinist so his mobility to his head/neck area is VERY important & his doctor assured us after the surgery he would be able to go back to his work at 100%.. but now that all this is happening we are very worried!! thanks for all your input.

@Razzle51 did you see doctor robert grossman? how was he?

res5562965 05-10-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara052420 (Post 875199)
we are in the process of going back to the doctor that did his surgery but he is very busy so his appointment isnt for another week or so which is not helping as far as the pain goes. he's a machinist so his mobility to his head/neck area is VERY important & his doctor assured us after the surgery he would be able to go back to his work at 100%.. but now that all this is happening we are very worried!! thanks for all your input.

@Razzle51 did you see doctor robert grossman? how was he?

My Neurologist told me I had no limitations also. That is his story. I know I will forever be limited to anything that affects my neck...lifting,looking upwards, raising my arms over my head, etc. Even mopping or vaccuming hurts me so bad if I do those small tasks, I am in the bed for atleast 2 days afterwards in severe pain. I had my Chiari Decompression surgery February 2011. I have to limit even the time I sit here at the computer due to severe neck pain. Sorry, maybe someone else has a better story.

sara052420 05-11-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by res5562965 (Post 878227)
My Neurologist told me I had no limitations also. That is his story. I know I will forever be limited to anything that affects my neck...lifting,looking upwards, raising my arms over my head, etc. Even mopping or vaccuming hurts me so bad if I do those small tasks, I am in the bed for atleast 2 days afterwards in severe pain. I had my Chiari Decompression surgery February 2011. I have to limit even the time I sit here at the computer due to severe neck pain. Sorry, maybe someone else has a better story.

Thanks! im seeing with all the doctors that say.. "oh just go back to your regular routine" the patients symptoms usually come back in a few months! Well now he is starting on physical therapy 3 times a week so we will see if that helps! I hope you find some relief!!