NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Thymectomy is booked :) (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/169012-thymectomy-booked.html)

kimmyF 04-30-2012 08:10 PM

Thymectomy is booked :)

I finally got the call today! I'm booked in for May 8, I'm still unsure weather I'm excited or scared to death!!!

I'm hoping that we don't have any problems, and that I stay strong through it all.

Im having the Thoroscopic procedure, and words of advise?

4-eyes 05-01-2012 08:50 AM

I had that procedure back in 2000. Was pretty much a piece of cake! I walked out of the hospital under my own power 24 hours after surgery. I had an almost 3 year old at home at that point, and after the first week I resumed her full care.

I hope you have similar success. Afterward, just avoid any strenuous activity with your right arm for a few weeks. I cut up a watermelon in mid-May for my dtr's birthday party and felt the strain after that. Otherwise, pain was minimal.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Brennan068 05-01-2012 01:30 PM

Good Luck! Be sure to stop in and let us know how it went afterwards :)

Sorry I don't have any advice, my thymectomy was through the full sternum split method.

wilke01 05-02-2012 07:42 PM

I also had the Thoroscopic Procedure in 2006 on a Thursday morning, stayed overnight for observation, and went home the next day. Had some minor pain for about a day, but was back at work full-time the following week. I had a great surgeon and everything went very well, and I was surprised that recovery was so fast.

Best of luck!

suev 05-03-2012 12:46 PM

Will be thinking of you on the 8th! Wishing you a speedy recovery and improved health!!

4-eyes 05-03-2012 04:28 PM

Wilke, did you have a surgeon out of Medical City Hospital in Dallas? If so, I did, too. ;)

kimmyF 05-03-2012 07:02 PM

Thank you all, they told me it would be 3-4 days in the hospital, 24 hours sounds way better to me. I'll hope for the best and catch up when I'm back home:)

schavarria 05-07-2012 09:32 AM

thymectomy

I had a robotic thymectomy in December 2011 in Chicago. They told me up to 4 days, and it was 4. As it turns out, they collapsed my lung purposely to gain more room to remove the thymus. I was 4 days in hospital because of the collapsed lung and making sure that everything was draining properly from that. The surgery itself and recuperation after I got home were fine. I took two weeks total off work, which I was glad I did because my stamina wasn't much. Overall I'm glad I did it, and feel like it was a pretty quick recovery. Best wishes to you!

TexasRose 05-07-2012 04:29 PM

Kimmy.

I had the robotic thymectomy 2 weeks ago, stayed overnight and was discharged the next day. I was completely ready to go, just a little out of it from the morphine and anesthesia the day before :D As they say, the worst part is the removal of the chest tube (if you have one) and that only takes 2 seconds! At home, I slept in a recliner for a couple of days and then with 3 or 4 pillows. It will not be comfortable to lie flat in the bed. Be kind to your body and rest. It will get better. Watch a comedy marathon :) Wishing you a successful surgery and quiet recuperation!

TexasRose 05-07-2012 04:34 PM

Robotic thymectomy

Kimmy.

I had the robotic thymectomy 2 weeks ago, stayed overnight and was discharged the next day. I was completely ready to go, just a little out of it from the morphine and anesthesia the day before :D. As they say, the worst part is the removal of the chest tube (if you have one) in the hospital and that only takes 2 seconds! I slept in a recliner for a couple of days and then with 3 or 4 pillows. You will not want to lie flat on the bed. Be kind to yourself. Watch a comedy marathon! Wishing you well with your surgery and a quiet, speedy recuperation!