NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Arnold Chiari Malformation & Syringomyelia (https://www.neurotalk.org/arnold-chiari-malformation-and-syringomyelia/)
-   -   Chemical Meningitis After Surgery (https://www.neurotalk.org/arnold-chiari-malformation-and-syringomyelia/169098-chemical-meningitis-surgery.html)

joalexa 05-02-2012 02:44 PM

Chemical Meningitis After Surgery

My 15 year old daughter underwent surgery at CHOP on April 23. She was discharged 2 days later with the usual discomfort. We were warned that by day 7-10 she could develop chemical meningitis. She now has excruciating headaches and nauseau. The surgeon said to "stay the course" and this is very uncomfortable. It is so difficult to see her suffer like this. Does anyone on the forum have a (happy) story to tell me about their experience with CM?

debe56@hotmail.com 05-02-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joalexa (Post 875439)
My 15 year old daughter underwent surgery at CHOP on April 23. She was discharged 2 days later with the usual discomfort. We were warned that by day 7-10 she could develop chemical meningitis. She now has excruciating headaches and nauseau. The surgeon said to "stay the course" and this is very uncomfortable. It is so difficult to see her suffer like this. Does anyone on the forum have a (happy) story to tell me about their experience with CM?

My 23 yr old daughter had a brain tumor removed and then a shunt put in, but kept experiencing severe head pain...after many, many tests and different hospitals, she was finally diagnosed with CHemical Menningits, but was also discharged (without any medication for treatment) the same day. We were glad to finally find out what the cause of her severe head pain was from, but now we're so worried because she's out of the hospital and not being treated in any way for the menningitis. She just went to another hospital to see if she can get help.

joalexa 05-03-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debe56@hotmail.com (Post 875520)
My 23 yr old daughter had a brain tumor removed and then a shunt put in, but kept experiencing severe head pain...after many, many tests and different hospitals, she was finally diagnosed with CHemical Menningits, but was also discharged (without any medication for treatment) the same day. We were glad to finally find out what the cause of her severe head pain was from, but now we're so worried because she's out of the hospital and not being treated in any way for the menningitis. She just went to another hospital to see if she can get help.

So sorry to hear about your daughter and I hope she finds help. We took our child back to CHOP where she was admitted. They are giving her the steroids and some painkillers which help immensely. Her Catscan and bloodwork came out well so they are thinking chemical meningitis. I'm glad we brought her to ER because it is awful seeing your child suffer! Right now I'm not sure how long she'll be hospitalized.

debe56@hotmail.com 05-03-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joalexa (Post 875614)
So sorry to hear about your daughter and I hope she finds help. We took our child back to CHOP where she was admitted. They are giving her the steroids and some painkillers which help immensely. Her Catscan and bloodwork came out well so they are thinking chemical meningitis. I'm glad we brought her to ER because it is awful seeing your child suffer! Right now I'm not sure how long she'll be hospitalized.

Ugh! My daughter has been to the ER twice since diagnosed with Chemical Menningitis... but they will not admit her.. She's very upset..very nervous.. She's afraid something bad is going to happen to her, since she is not being treated for it. I really don't know what I can to do help her... She is in severe pain with her head. This has been a nightmare. I'm glad your daughter is hospitalized and getting help.