NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   metformin for pre-diabetes (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/169149-metformin-pre-diabetes.html)

pinehurstcharlie 05-03-2012 10:10 AM

metformin for pre-diabetes

Has anyone taken metformin for pre-diabetes to get them started on the right track? I've read mixed medical reviews but just last month one came out that states they found it to be a good thing to prevent that patient getting full blown diabetes. I feel that getting started for a few months then continuing on the supplements, good food and exercise will be a plus but wanted some feed back.

mrsD 05-03-2012 10:16 AM

Metformin is tough to take. I've tried it twice. The last time recently with a new form supposed to be easier...but it wasn't.

If your A1C is good, I don't think you need it. But if your A1C is creeping up? Over 6.5? then you can try it.

Metformin interferes with B12, so you need to be taking that.

Lots of GI upset with Metformin. Besides the cramping and diarrhea, it also stimulates the gall bladder, so if you have stones or sludge there you may get gall bladder attacks.

pinehurstcharlie 05-03-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 875690)
Metformin is tough to take. I've tried it twice. The last time recently with a new form supposed to be easier...but it wasn't.

If your A1C is good, I don't think you need it. But if your A1C is creeping up? Over 6.5? then you can try it.

Metformin interferes with B12, so you need to be taking that.

Lots of GI upset with Metformin. Besides the cramping and diarrhea, it also stimulates the gall bladder, so if you have stones or sludge there you may get gall bladder attacks.

My A1C is 5.8 and I think from previous tests it is creeping up , due to age or whatever. I was just wanting to try it for a few months , as I think if it is the glucose that is causing the terrible burning , then it will anwer things for me . My husband is a model type 2 patient, diagnosed 4 years ago , was put on metformin, started exercise program, eating healthy , lost 40 pounds and his A1C has been normal since . He only took metformin for 4 -6 months as he didn't want to take anymore pills since he was taking cholestrol and triyclerides (sp) meds. So i saw how it helped him get on the right path so just thought might work for me for even shorter time and to relieve this burn.

Dr. Smith 05-03-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinehurstcharlie (Post 875693)
I think if it is the glucose that is causing the terrible burning , then it will anwer things for me .

I'm not diabetic, but I did have high triglyceride levels, and sugar is definitely a trigger for burning pain (for me). Since I've been on a low carb diet (no sugars or starches) my triglycerides dropped like a stone, and it definitely helps with the burning.

Doc

Sallysblooms 05-03-2012 02:33 PM

I know someone on Metformin that does great. I am sure everyone is very different.

mrsD 05-03-2012 03:14 PM

Metformin has been used for quite a while to help with insulin resistance. It has some metabolic effects that other oral drugs for diabetes do not share. Typically it doesn't cause severe low blood sugars for example. (unless you are having a low anyway).

It is supposed to help with blocking some gluconeogenesis by the liver which happens during fasting states. And to enable insulin to get glucose into cells more normally.

If you do get LOWs pay attention to them.

The people who get the diarrhea have slightly more serotonin in the GI tract than others. Metformin increases serotonergic responses and motility of the GI tract.
The side effect may come after more than 3 months on the drug. Also using a timed release may help some. I've seen people take 2000mg of immediate release daily with no problem.
But if you are one of the sensitives (and there are many of those) you will suffer. And it may begin as low as 500mg ER daily. This effect does NOT go away... so don't let your doctor try to get you to keep at it. It will in fact get worse and worse. It will interrupt sleep and put a huge crimp on leaving the house. (even when using Imodium).

When it works, it is great. But the "other"? It can be very agonizing.

pinehurstcharlie 05-03-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 875793)
Metformin has been used for quite a while to help with insulin resistance. It has some metabolic effects that other oral drugs for diabetes do not share. Typically it doesn't cause severe low blood sugars for example. (unless you are having a low anyway).

It is supposed to help with blocking some gluconeogenesis by the liver which happens during fasting states. And to enable insulin to get glucose into cells more normally.

If you do get LOWs pay attention to them.

The people who get the diarrhea have slightly more serotonin in the GI tract than others. Metformin increases serotonergic responses and motility of the GI tract.
The side effect may come after more than 3 months on the drug. Also using a timed release may help some. I've seen people take 2000mg of immediate release daily with no problem.
But if you are one of the sensitives (and there are many of those) you will suffer. And it may begin as low as 500mg ER daily. This effect does NOT go away... so don't let your doctor try to get you to keep at it. It will in fact get worse and worse. It will interrupt sleep and put a huge crimp on leaving the house. (even when using Imodium).

When it works, it is great. But the "other"? It can be very agonizing.

My triyclerides are fine , I"m only doing this for a short time , i will go back on supplements once the a1c is at a normal level which with diet, exercise that i'm doing i hope isn't but a few months. I've already dropped 11 pounds with my exercising and eating healthier in a month or so . I did ask pharamacist about ala and they said to be careful taking that with metformin so i think i'll wait to continue that supplement but the rest are fine with doctor and pharmacist. I'll hope for no bad reactions as he is giving me the losest dose.

pinehurstcharlie 05-03-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinehurstcharlie (Post 875815)
My triyclerides are fine , I"m only doing this for a short time , i will go back on supplements once the a1c is at a normal level which with diet, exercise that i'm doing i hope isn't but a few months. I've already dropped 11 pounds with my exercising and eating healthier in a month or so . I did ask pharamacist about ala and they said to be careful taking that with metformin so i think i'll wait to continue that supplement but the rest are fine with doctor and pharmacist. I'll hope for no bad reactions as he is giving me the losest dose.

So Mrs D do you still have the lasting effects from the metformin? how long if so ?

mrsD 05-03-2012 04:59 PM

When you stop it, that is it. No more GI upset.

An A1C of 5.8 for an older person is very very good.
Most doctors don't start treatment for diabetes until 7.0.

aussiemom 05-03-2012 08:48 PM

Ask for the extended release version. And take it with food. It takes a while to build up to be effective, the "met mambo" can come quite a bit sooner. Start low, and gradually work up, if you don't have the side effects. I couldln't take it either.