NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   just an update (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/169206-update.html)

Dolfinwolf 05-04-2012 08:18 AM

just an update

Wanted to first off say thank you to everyone here on the forum. When i get discouraged or start overanalyzing things, I just jump on here and read the threads and know I am not alone.

I am still very much struggling with dizziness and these pressure headaches and nausea. However, I do have some meclizine which i have been prescribed, which helps somewhat. The good news is that I have a new job! I am a clerk of courts now and i get to sit at a desk rather than run around a coffee shop all day.

So far I have had good days and bad days obviously because there is a lot to learn, but I am trying to pace myself and keep my brain from doing the disassociating thing too. Luckily, I have my own office and for the most part it is quiet! (so yay! back to work 40 hours a week!) Plus I get the weekends to recover.

So hopefully all will continue to go well. I just wanted to post and say that today is a good day.

-K.-
:o

camyam73 05-04-2012 08:31 AM

That's great to hear! Pace yourself, but glad to know things are going well!

EsthersDoll 05-04-2012 02:03 PM

That is great to learn!

I've given myself another year to recover before I will consider changing careers. (Especially since my doctor is convinced I'm going to continue to get better!) I've been frustrated at work for months because I'm not able to perform the way I used to, it makes me feel disabled. My boss even asked me to get a handicapped placard from my Dr. so my energy won't be taken away from doing my job from walking around campus unnecessarily as much.

And my place of work can be totally overwhelming at times and very draining. And that's discouraging for me.

But, I'd personally, be very upset if I look for a new job and in a year I'd improve enough to be able to do the one I have now. Because when I'm able to rise up to the level of functioning that this job demands, it's very rewarding. And I'm very lucky that everyone where I work is very supportive of my continued recovery.

Klaus 05-05-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolfinwolf (Post 876050)
(so yay! back to work 40 hours a week!) Plus I get the weekends to recover.

Why not ask if you can have a graded return to work plan where you start off working less than 40 hours a week? I came back on 20 hours, if I'd gone straight back to full time I think I would have failed, which neither you nor your employer would want.

Even if you can manage 40 hours, it could leave you with no life outside work if you're putting every ounce of what mental energy you have into your work hours then collapsing when you get home. This would be stressful and depressing.

Fatigue is a well known symptom of head injury so they should understand, my employer did. Just a thought.