NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Facial numbness (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/169608-facial-numbness.html)

KittyLady 05-11-2012 11:28 AM

Facial numbness

Yesterday I woke up, and the entire right side of my face was numb. Ive never had that before. Couldn't feel anything... half my nose was gone, my lips, eye and even my ear! I was too afraid to try to talk for fear I wouldn't be able to talk. I decided to just roll over and go back to sleep. When I woke again, all the numbness was gone. I guess part of the scare was I was home alone. My dh works midnights and when this happend he hadn't gotten home yet. Im glad it went away tho. Anybody else have a symptom just appear and is gone within a few hours? This is a first for me. New stuff usually takes a few weeks to go away for me, thats IF they go away.

SallyC 05-11-2012 12:38 PM

Facial numbness was one of my first symptoms of MS. I thought it was a stroke. It went away too, only not all at once like yours. Maybe you had a nightmare..:eek::D

KittyLady 05-11-2012 05:21 PM

I wish I was dreaming!! LOL... Im use to my legs being numb, but the face scared me.

SallyC 05-11-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyLady (Post 878587)
I wish I was dreaming!! LOL... Im use to my legs being numb, but the face scared me.

Believe me, with MS, anything..ANYTHING can go numb..:eek:

dmplaura 05-11-2012 07:41 PM

My face goes numb (left side) very often. Can come and go.

If you have this come back again and it lasts for 24 hours or more, get in contact with your neurologist asap, or if this becomes more common/frequent in days ahead, be sure to mention it next appointment.

agate 05-12-2012 11:46 AM

Numbness on the left side of my face comes and goes too.

Sometimes I don't realize it's happening unless I look in the mirror and find the whole left side of my face drooping and my left eye veering off to the outside.

Other times I'm aware of it. My speech is "funny," and I drool. Not pretty.

SallyC 05-12-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agate (Post 878790)
Numbness on the left side of my face comes and goes too.

Sometimes I don't realize it's happening unless I look in the mirror and find the whole left side of my face drooping and my left eye veering off to the outside.

Other times I'm aware of it. My speech is "funny," and I drool. Not pretty.

Joan, that sounds more like Bells Palsy, than just a little numbness. I had that once, about 10 yrs ago and it scared the H out of me. I was relieved to find out it was not a stroke.:eek: Mine went away with no lasting SX.

agate 05-12-2012 02:06 PM

This has been happening off and on for over 25 years. It would be nice if it went away.:)

dmplaura 05-12-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agate (Post 878813)
This has been happening off and on for over 25 years. It would be nice if it went away.:)

My left side's kinda droopy as well. SallyC's not too far off with her Bells Palsy assessment though... when I was super super duper affected at one time by twitching on the right (everything pulling 'up') and numb on the left, the left DID look like Bells Palsy.

I was looked at by a neurologist at the time (pre-MS diagnosis) who didn't believe anything was amiss (Bells Palsy that is... he was completely ignorant to the MS but that's a whole other chapter lol).

Wouldn't it be nice if it went away?! Sigh... I can't imagine 25 years! :hug:

new2net98 05-12-2012 07:59 PM

Left side facial numbness is one of the first major symptoms that I had that drove me to get medication for the first time. Neurotin makes it bearable; and it's one of the most noticible symptoms that comes back, when the Neurotin wears off.

Do you notice any "itchy" feeling with it also? Mine is along the hairline & my left ear.