NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   What's the difference between potassium citrate and potassium chloride? (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/169880-whats-difference-potassium-citrate-potassium-chloride.html)

bruegger84 05-16-2012 04:42 PM

What's the difference between potassium citrate and potassium chloride?

What's the difference between potassium citrate and potassium chloride? One comes in a smaller size or 99mg capsules and the potassium chloride comes in a powder which is like 730 mg per quarter teaspoon.

mrsD 05-16-2012 05:04 PM

They will have different elemental amounts.

Chloride will have more potassium per measure than the citrate.

Potassium citrate= Pure potassium citrate contains 38.28% potassium.

Potassium chloride == 52.45% potassium

Many supplement labels do not give elemental values.
I explain this concept on the Magnesium thread.

Potassium citrate is used RX for treating certain types of kidney stones, as it solubilizes certain other minerals.

bruegger84 05-16-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 879962)
They will have different elemental amounts.

Chloride will have more potassium per measure than the citrate.

Potassium citrate= Pure potassium citrate contains 38.28% potassium.

Potassium chloride == 52.45% potassium

Many supplement labels do not give elemental values.
I explain this concept on the Magnesium thread.

Potassium citrate is used RX for treating certain types of kidney stones, as it solubilizes certain other minerals.

Is there an amount they use to treat kidney stones, i suppose i can look it up on medscape. But i was wondering. Anyways, I guess any form of it is a good form to take at times, specially if you eat alot of salt one day. I tried eating bananas but sometimes they aren't around in the house as well as sometimes they don't taste good to me. Also, is there any specific ones you would suggest or any that your have tried? Specifically some electrolyte type kinds, I know you tried ionic fizz, and I also know about coconut water, which is pretty good but expensive, so any suggestions?

Also, sidenote, I believe jarrow formulas isn't that great, a few of their supplements were good for me. But the rest weren't great. I enjoy now supps, but for the most part, I generally like doctor's best formulas, and in general they have some samples on iherb that are decent, I have ordered the ubiquinol as well as the BSN amino formula, They have a wide variety in there now, and those make me want to order something(since u can't just order free samples, in general)

mrsD 05-17-2012 01:31 AM

You have to be very careful supplementing potassium. VERY.
It is better to get your potassium from foods.

Basically there are many foods with high potassium. V8 juice, cantaloupe are two of the highest.

You can check foods on this website:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/
Pay attention to the serving sizes at the top left of each entry.

Bananas are not the only thing with potassium in them. Potatoes, meat, V8 juice (vegetable one) and cantaloupe are good sources.
Edamame beans also for potassium and magnesium. Orange juice is a moderate source.

bruegger84 05-17-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 880081)
You have to be very careful supplementing potassium. VERY.
It is better to get your potassium from foods.

Basically there are many foods with high potassium. V8 juice, cantaloupe are two of the highest.

You can check foods on this website:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/
Pay attention to the serving sizes at the top left of each entry.

Bananas are not the only thing with potassium in them. Potatoes, meat, V8 juice (vegetable one) and cantaloupe are good sources.
Edamame beans also for potassium and magnesium. Orange juice is a moderate source.

Why exactly do i have to be careful? I understand your concern, but Is there an upper limit of where I should go with the potassiuim. The citrate is 99mg per capsule it says. And the chloride has larger amount per quarter teasponn.

I think i may use the citrate version but how many capsules would u suggest?

mrsD 05-17-2012 09:40 PM

You should not be taking a potassium supplement unless your doctor says you should. People on diuretic treatments, often lose potassium so then a supplement is usually given on RX depending on the blood work.

Some forms of renal tubular acidosis also deplete potassium, but one other form actually retains potassium.

People with chronic diarrhea, will lose potassium that way.

But if you take potassium on your own, you could have it build up in your system, and that would affect the heart.

It is not difficult to get potassium from food. Supplements are basically a waste. If you need potassium, your doctor should order and supervise it.

bruegger84 05-17-2012 09:58 PM

I agree I guess since you're consistent or rather insistent.

I took about 4 pills of the 99mg kind today. I don't feel any type of abnormalness.

But i will look into coconut water, as i have heard that it carries that.

Also, if i need to straighten it out, there's some magnesium supps I have as well as some salty chips.

Update: I honestly feel about 70% better than I did yesterday after taking the supplement. I feel less dehydrated and everything. Most likely I will lay off taking the supplement for awhile, till I start feeling bad, and then maybe I'll take some.\

Erring on the side of catuion. I do think 4 pills may be a bit too much for anyone regulary, so after the first one, 2 pills a day wouldn't hurt.

lanne1 03-22-2014 04:16 PM

Easy?

I agree there are significant amount of foods that have potassium content but not that many that have high content in relationship to the RDA which is 4700 mg per day. For example, a high potassium food is banana. You would have to eat 12 bananas a day to get your RDA. This is why most all people are not getting the RDA of potassium from food - it does not seem easy to me. What do you eat to get 4700 mg per day in your diet?

Dr. Smith 03-23-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanne1 (Post 1058789)
What do you eat to get 4700 mg per day in your diet?

According to the USDA National Nutrient Database it can be done.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrient...=c&measureby=m

Hope that link works. If not, go to http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ click on Nutrient Lists in the lefthand column, and fill in the search criteria form.

According to the list, a cup of Potatoes (mashed, dehydrated, granules with milk, dry form) has 3696 mg. of potassium, which is pretty close (better than a banana, anyhoo). If you can down a cup of molasses every day (4934 mg), you've got it made! :rolleyes:

Doc

Lara 03-23-2014 02:45 PM

Handy site.
Thanks for posting that!