NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   extremely worried (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/170491-extremely-worried.html)

zovaisharf 05-27-2012 06:17 PM

extremely worried

Hello everyone. I'm ashraf. I recieved a concussion about 10 days ago.I got knocked out and hit the back of my head against the road pretty hard. unconscious for about 10 seconds. I was admitted to the hospital because of bad anxiety attacks. 2 days later i was admitted again because i turned into a zombie (kinda hard to explain the feeling). i had slurred speech for like 10 minutes. The anxiety attacks were the worst though. I stayed in the hospital overnight. The following week i spent the entire time being in a dazed state. I had bad balance but recovered quickly on that. I have been feeling much better in the past two days, but am worried that the state of daze will return. Will anyone have any idea, given the background, whether i will experience the symptoms again and if so for how long of a period of time will they remain?

lattesrus 05-27-2012 07:08 PM

Dizziness

There are no guarantees. I say that you probably need to continue to rest past the time when you feel better. You hit your brain! You cannot tough it out. It is not like twisting your ankle on a hike and sucking it up until you get to the end.

I got a concussion 4 months ago from a car accident. After a month, I thought I was ready to back to work full time--after all I was feeling so much better. My wise doctor said no, stay on half days for at least 3 more months. She was right. During a rough "half day" I am fatigued and confused. I also get very irritable when tired.

I have visited several concussion websites and the part of my brain (right frontal lobe) that hit the air bag controls judgment on abilities. That might be the case with you--you may not be able to really assess your ability to get back to your old life.

Mark in Idaho 05-28-2012 12:45 AM

asharf,

You have injured your brain and it will take quite some time to get to a point where your symptoms do not come and go frequently. You need to rest so you can have as many days in a row without symptoms. Your brain will only heal when you are symptoms free. You likely need to rest in a quiet place for about 6 weeks before trying to get back to your normal life. If your symptoms return, you should rest for another 4 weeks or more.

Anxiety and stress are your worst enemies. Anything that causes you to feel anxiety needs to be avoided.

Let us know how you are doing.

My best to you.

windseeker242 05-28-2012 03:10 AM

I had a similar experience, I bumped my head again 3 months later all my symptoms came back and have yet to resolve fully. That was four months ago.

All I can say is DON'T HIT YOUR HEAD AGAIN!!!