NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Weighted blanket for PCS symptoms (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/170906-weighted-blanket-pcs-symptoms.html)

xanadu00 06-03-2012 05:43 PM

Weighted blanket for PCS symptoms

My sister is an Occupational Therapist and she recommended that I try a weighted blanket, both for general relaxation and for settling down my brain when I'm overstimulated. This thing really works. The first time I tried it I started to relax within minutes, and that is saying something, as I have a lot of difficulty relaxing. I've started using it when I'm overstimulated and it really seems to help with that too; after about 20 minutes under the weighted blanket I notice that my light and sound sensitivities start to diminish.

If you google "weighted blanket" you can find some places that sell them, though they tend to be pricey. If you can't afford a weighted blanket and have access to a quiet pool or hot tub, you may be able to achieve a similar effect. Even wrapping yourself tightly in heavy blankets will probably have some effect.

The light pressure exerted by the blanket or water has a calming effect on the nervous system. This is why swaddling babies helps to calm them down.

I am not saying that this is a cure-all or magic bullet--far from it. But it could potentially be a really helpful tool in managing PCS, especially if you have difficulty sleeping and/or get overstimulated easily.

Mark in Idaho 06-03-2012 05:53 PM

I have used weighted blankets for decades. For me, a major benefit is the reduction of air space around my body. This reduces stimulation by causing all of my tactile sensations to be the same.

I used to mention arranging sleep environments for extreme cozy comfort but nobody seemed to notice a benefit or maybe they never tried it.

I use two crocheted afghans that do the trick. In the middle of summer, I a quality soft sheet, a velux blanket, an afghan in single layer, and an afghan folded double with a second fold at the top so I have no air circulation around my body. Sometimes, I will even wear velour gloves to remove all tactile sensation to my hands.

When I sleep in my reclining chair, I cocoon in a fleece blanket with my hands tucked between the folds. My wife says when she see me sleeping like this, she can tell I am sleeping deeply.

I also find I do better in all cotton sleep ware. Cotton maintains even temperature better than most synthetics.

Sweet dreams.

xanadu00 11-20-2012 04:53 PM

I'm bumping this thread up. I still use a weighted blanked at least once a day and it really helps me to calm down after too much activity and/or stimulation.