NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   My head and ears won't stop throbbing!? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/171060-head-ears-wont-stop-throbbing.html)

Jaystar89 06-06-2012 08:00 AM

My head and ears won't stop throbbing!?

Hi there!
I'm not sure if this is a typical symptom but I can not take it anymore. After my last recorded head injury in August of 2011 I have delt with confusion lack of concentration and memory problems. However my most recent problem is the throbbing! About 2 months ago I started getting pains in my ears no ear infection no inflamation. The pains don't go away. And every time there's a loud noise or a lot of comotion they throb it feels as if my whole head is throbbing /pulsating. The worst is when a baby cries or screams....I work with kids. When there is an extra loud noise close by it becomes unbarable it feels like someone is playing the drums inside my head. I lose focus and can only hear that. I'm not sure what to do or if this is common? Any ides?

Mark in Idaho 06-06-2012 08:27 AM

It does not sound like a common PCS symptom. It could be caused by an adrenal response that raises your blood pressure. Do you have a blood pressure kit? It would help if you could check your blood pressure during on of these events. You can buy them at the drug store for about $20 to $30.

If it happens when your BP rises, you can ask your doctor what to do for the rise in BP. It is not uncommon for people with PCS to have unusual and over-reactive responses to sound.

My best to you.

EsthersDoll 06-06-2012 06:00 PM

Throbbing and pulsatile tinnitus can be symptoms of increased intracranial pressure or intracranial hypertension. It is rarely associated with concussion but it's still a possibility and something to consider asking your neurologist about. Make sure your neuro knows about all your symptoms.

http://www.ihrfoundation.org/intracr...nsion/info/C16

concussedlawyer 06-06-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaystar89 (Post 886511)
Hi there!
I'm not sure if this is a typical symptom but I can not take it anymore. After my last recorded head injury in August of 2011 I have delt with confusion lack of concentration and memory problems. However my most recent problem is the throbbing! About 2 months ago I started getting pains in my ears no ear infection no inflamation. The pains don't go away. And every time there's a loud noise or a lot of comotion they throb it feels as if my whole head is throbbing /pulsating. The worst is when a baby cries or screams....I work with kids. When there is an extra loud noise close by it becomes unbarable it feels like someone is playing the drums inside my head. I lose focus and can only hear that. I'm not sure what to do or if this is common? Any ides?

I have a similar symptom that is driving me crazy. I had my concussion 2 years ago but beginning a year ago I have had this intense feeling like there is fluid draining from my ears, particularly the right side. At some times it is more pronounced than others. I've also had a sore throat and constriction in the chest. So far no one has been able to diagnose this (or solve it!). So, I'm not sure it is related to the concusssion-I'll keep you posted.

Jaystar89 06-06-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concussedlawyer (Post 886693)
I have a similar symptom that is driving me crazy. I had my concussion 2 years ago but beginning a year ago I have had this intense feeling like there is fluid draining from my ears, particularly the right side. At some times it is more pronounced than others. I've also had a sore throat and constriction in the chest. So far no one has been able to diagnose this (or solve it!). So, I'm not sure it is related to the concusssion-I'll keep you posted.

Thank you. When it first started to happen I thought that I may have an ear infection. But like I said I didn't and the doc said there was no inflamation although that's what it felt like. I started using over the counter drops for inflamation and they help a little for maybe about an hour. But when the noise is bad I can't take it. I cover my ears and it barely helps. What concerns me the most is the throbbing feeling because its not just in my ears but my head in my temples. It may just be stress related but it drives me crazy. Please keep me posted. Thank you!

Jaystar89 06-06-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthersDoll (Post 886652)
Throbbing and pulsatile tinnitus can be symptoms of increased intracranial pressure or intracranial hypertension. It is rarely associated with concussion but it's still a possibility and something to consider asking your neurologist about. Make sure your neuro knows about all your symptoms.

Thank you. I will hopefully be able to see my neurologist soon. I spoke with my trainer and he believe that I am still covered under there insurance because it was a sports related injury. I will try to remember to write all my syptoms down and show him the list. He can decide if its concussion related or not better he knows it all even if it may not be related.