NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   I am again having a bad PN flare. (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/171189-am-bad-pn-flare.html)

Aussie99 06-08-2012 01:19 AM

I am again having a bad PN flare.

I have been in alot of pain. I do not take any anti seizure meds or antidepessant for my pain.

I have been taking 1 advil and 1 panadol (acemetepheine) which conatins 9.6mg codeine phosphate.

I do that twice daily to control diffuse neuropathic pain.

I am booked into see a neurologist.

I have been on this regime off and on for 3 weeks. My question is am I still within safe limits of pain medication use?

Dr. Smith 06-08-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie99 (Post 887101)
My question is am I still within safe limits of pain medication use?

Not sure what you mean by that. If you're taking them according to directions, or as prescribed, and don't have any adverse reactions, you should be ok.

What is it you're concerned about - addiction, dependence, liver damage, or what?

Doc

Aussie99 06-08-2012 07:35 PM

Thank you!!!!!

Hi Doc Smith.
I guess what I am asking is on the back of the Advil packets here in Oz they warn that the Advil should be taken no more than a week. And you should see your GP if you need to take the Meds for longer. I take 400 mg a day in a divided dose for the last 2 to 3 weeks. I am still in pain so I can't stop taking them. I am wondering if taking a low dose but for an extended time is safer than higher doses for a short duration, so i can continue taking them. Basically I am trying to assess if I am still within the safety zone.

I hope I am making sense. I wrote this thread at a time when I wasn't feeling the best.

Dr. Smith 06-09-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie99 (Post 887328)
Hi Doc Smith.
I guess what I am asking is on the back of the Advil packets here in Oz they warn that the Advil should be taken no more than a week. And you should see your GP if you need to take the Meds for longer. I take 400 mg a day in a divided dose for the last 2 to 3 weeks. I am still in pain so I can't stop taking them. I am wondering if taking a low dose but for an extended time is safer than higher doses for a short duration, so i can continue taking them. Basically I am trying to assess if I am still within the safety zone.

I hope I am making sense. I wrote this thread at a time when I wasn't feeling the best.

I think the warning on the package is twofold. It is likely to urge people to see a doctor if they have symptoms warranting taking an anti-inflammatory for more than a week, as it could indicate something... you should see a doctor about. It is also to alert consumers that longterm use may not be without some risk.

Many people do take ibuprofen regularly for longer periods under their doctor's supervision for things like arthritis, but this does not mean it is without risk. You can learn about these by googling: ibuprofen

I'm not a doctor or pharmacist, so while I think you're probably ok until you see the neurologist, I'm still just some guy on the internet and know nothing about your medical history, etc., so my advice, to be safe, would be to touch base with your PCP as the package advises. He does know your particulars, so a phone call at first, and if he wants to see you, do it.

Doc

Aussie99 06-10-2012 07:57 AM

Thanks Doc Smith. My GP is away on holidays until
The end of June so I have to wait until she returns. Furthermore they have discontinued a pain med I use to ake when I first hot PN 7 years ago. I will discuss with GP when she returns.
I'll also let you know what she says.
Aussie:):)