NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Botox treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/171861-botox-treatments.html)

wdl6591 06-20-2012 07:46 AM

Botox treatments

My concussion occurred at the end of October 2011. Along with other "common" post concussion symptoms (memory and cognitive difficulties, light sensitivity, insomnia, mood swings, depression, etc.) I've had headaches everyday since. Headaches have "settled in" at about a 3 on a scale of 10. I get "spikes" of more pain from physical exertion or periods mental focus. I've tried Depakote and Amiltriptyline as prophylactics without much sucess. Acetaminophen, ibuprofen and Tramadol don't really help much. The neurologist is suggesting Botox injection therapy. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm looking for any kind of relief at this point. I'm also considering accupuncture and bio-feedback and would appreciate any feedback on those treatments as well.

Mark in Idaho 06-20-2012 03:18 PM

If Botox is suggested, maybe you need to try to get help with undiagnosed upper neck injuries. If you have tender areas behind your ears and at other thin muscles spots on and around your head, you can be experiencing radiculopathy from cervical and cranial nerve inflammation. Finding the source of this inflammation may reduce your head aches.

Do you notice if you are clenching or grinding your teeth? This can be a symptom.

If icing your upper neck or back or other parts of your head helps, it can indicated the area of inflammation.

HeadStrong 06-20-2012 09:30 PM

wdl6591

The diagnostic injections of lidocaine into frontal/temporal nerves worked for me, (approx 3 hrs of pain free) so the Doctor thought I would be a good candidate for BOTOX injections.

They did not work for me and were also extremely painful due to the inflamation causinf scar tissue.

I have also been on Noritriptyline, just went off of Propranalol and doc is now trying Amitriptyline to see if that will work for the tension/migraine combo. I am very sensitive to medicine so these headaches are hard to control.

Let us know what works for you.

ShellyK 06-21-2012 02:11 AM

I have been going for acupuncture treatments. I was also considering Botox, because I was so desperate to find something that would help week-long migraines.

I decided to try acupuncture first, because I did not want to put Botox in my body if I didn't have to. I am very sensitive to medications.

The acupuncture has made a difference in the headaches. I still get headaches, but not week-long migraines. And the migraines are further apart.

Everyone's condition is different, and everyone responds to treatment differently, but if you can find a good acupuncturist, I would highly recommend that you try that.

Good luck. And let us know how you are doing.

ShellyK