NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Tired of hugs, tired of everything! (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/171887-tired-hugs-tired.html)

KittyLady 06-20-2012 04:47 PM

Tired of hugs, tired of everything!

Woke up feeling good and within 20 minutes I got hit with the hug. Oh, the pain!! DH went and got me the heating pad while I downed some baclofen between rolling on the bed in pain. Had such a hard time breathing. Im tired of getting this sx. The baclofen/heating pad combo helped, but when the baclofen started to wear off, the hug came back. For the past 8 months my muscles have felt like jello, now all of a sudden, they have switched gears and have decided to become stiff as a board. I have such problems with bending my legs. My muscles just wont relax anymore. My arms, legs, etc. It hurts so much and Im tired of living life thru baclofen lenses!!

NurseNancy 06-20-2012 04:50 PM

i'm so sorry you're going thru this. i don't have experience with the hug but it sounds so painful.

does your dr know? could he try a different med? do you just take the baclofen when you have a problem or do you take it on a regular basis?
taking a med on a regular basis can build up therapeutic levels in the blood and may be more effective.

i hope you will feel better.

KittyLady 06-20-2012 05:05 PM

I take baclofen on a regular basis. My doc told me what you said, about building it up in my system, etc. I take about 80mg a day. My neuro knows I suffer like this.

ANNagain 06-20-2012 05:07 PM

I am sorry, too, KittyLady. I hope it goes away and stays away!

ANN

SallyC 06-20-2012 05:48 PM

:circlelove:(((((KittyLady))))):circlelove:

ginnie 06-20-2012 06:37 PM

Hello Kitty

I just wanted to offer support to you too. I read the posts as often as I can. I am sorry you are in pain like that. Please do go back to your doctor, and see if there isn't another medication to relax those spasms. I know it is not wasy to deal with all you are going through. Be good to yourself. I am also glad to hear there is someone in your life to help you through those ruff spots. I do have a prayer list, and you will be there too. ginnie:hug:

Erika 06-21-2012 01:14 AM

Hello Kitty,

So sorry that you are having these symptoms. They are some of the worst that I have ever experienced too; and so exhausting to have them go on and on for such a time.

Sometimes gently pressing on the abdomen (maybe your DH can help with that), gives relief. At first while you're having it done it feels worse and sometimes refers pain to the back between the shoulder blades and also into the chest, but then after a few minutes, it helps the abdominal spasms to let go; and that helps to let you straighten up or out again.

Sounds like you've had enough 'hugging' so am sending you breaths of fresh air. May you get some peace and rest.

With love, Erika

Dejibo 06-21-2012 07:00 AM

My MD gave me ativan for the hug. it relaxes me as well as helping greatly with the hug. I take baclofen only if the hug doesnt resolve with the ativan.

Saw him yesterday. Asked him if baclofen was meant to be taken EVERY day or can I continue it "as needed" He told me that if I was taking it mostly everyday then its better to allow it to build up in my blood stream and keep a constant level of relief going, but if I am only taking it 2x a week or so, then dont bother taking it unless I need it. He did agree it would work better if allowed to build up to a level in my blood stream,but wont hurt me the way I have been taking it.

The hug just slays me! it happens when I try to lay down. bed, chair, floor, where ever, if I go flat the hug comes with a vengance. MRI isnt fun.