NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   New Member (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/172334-new-member.html)

Will_W.DPN 06-28-2012 02:42 PM

Hello all new here and wanted to post a question, may have been asked before so please forgive me if I am duplicating:

Has anyone tried alternative forms of treatment for PN
- massage
- reflexology
- homeopathic medicine
- acupuncture, etc..

If you could relate your incidents and how you found your practioneer would be great!

Thanks for your help :D

lindsayjane 06-28-2012 03:06 PM

Hi Will,

I have idiopathic PN.

I take a multi vitamin and fish/flax oil.

I also do yoga and myofascial release physical therapy.

Lindsay

januarybabe 06-28-2012 03:47 PM

Tried series of acupuncture. Didn't work.

Sallysblooms 06-28-2012 03:53 PM

I have a very good schedule of supplements three times a day. I have CFS and POTS ( Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) caused by Autonomic Neuropathy. I take MANY supplements. For me, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Benfotiame, l carnitine and others have done the trick.

My doctors know about supplements and diet so my nerves are healing. I eat no sugar or white/bad carbs. Just fruit and veggie carbs. I make sure to get good grass fed beef, sea veg. sulphur foods like onions and other foods to heal.

For me, taking sugar/carbs from the diet takes away inflammation for the nerves. Adding supplements like those above and supplements for mitochondria, antioxidents etc. and highly nutritious foods can then help them heal.

Dr. Smith 06-28-2012 04:26 PM

Hi Will,

Between here and the Sub-Forum, PN Tips, Resources, Supplements & Other Treatments you'll find all of those and more discussed. You can locate the threads via the Search this Forum facilities on the righthand side of the forum pages just above the Sticky threads.

Doc

ginnie 06-28-2012 04:56 PM

Hello Will

Welcome to Neuro Talk. I take suppliments under the care of a physiasist. This is the first time I have tried this in my life. She is trying to treat my PN with this method. I have PN or the beginnings of RSD in my left foot, ankle, and calf. Hope you get alot of people to respond to you. I know there are alot of folks with this condition, that have tried alot of different protocols. I wish you all the best. Glad you found this site, you will make a few new friends. ginnie

mrsD 06-28-2012 05:13 PM

Welcome, to NeuroTalk Will:

If by your ID name you have diabetic neuropathy? The most useful things are metabolic supplements for it.
R-lipoic acid and Benfotiamine are the main ones, but others may help too.

Epsom salt soaks may help too, since diabetics lose magnesium thru the urine daily. The magnesium in epsom salts, improves circulation to the feet. There are also lotions like Epsom-IT. (available online).

Controlling sugars is vital.
Having B12 and Vit D tested and restored to normal levels, is critical also. Get your test results because doctors don't interpret them accurately. Bring them here, for discussion.

I find Biofreeze very good for burning type symptoms.