NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Turmeric as a supplement for PCS (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/173038-turmeric-supplement-pcs.html)

nightnurse30 07-10-2012 11:51 PM

Turmeric as a supplement for PCS

I was told by my acupuncturist that he believed Turmeric was one of the most powerful supplements one can take for better health. I did a lot of research and found numerous articles and studies about it. Its effects are in so many areas, including properties for anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, natural pain killer, shown to help kill cancerous cells (especially in bowel cancer), aids in metabolism and fat reduction, helps in depression, slows alzheimers progression, helps mental functioning, natural liver detoxifier, helps ease osteoarthritis, and many more. I started taking turmeric a few months ago and really feel a huge difference in my body...less joint discomfort after strenuous workouts, havent gotten sick, hair is shinier and fuller, my skin looks healthier, and i just feel healthier.

This link is for an article about its possible help in concussions.
http://www.sportsbrainpower.com/2012...y-concussions/

Mark in Idaho 07-11-2012 01:36 AM

Cumin has similar nutritional value. Tumeric has curcumin in it as the active nutritional ingredient. One is from a seed, the other from a dried and ground root.

We discussed cumin long ago. I don't remember if anybody tried it for any length of time.

Lagr 07-11-2012 08:38 AM

I'm about to reach my one year mark next month and am ready to start trying new things. Nightnurse, how much turmeric do you take daily? Can you find it easily at a Whole Foods or vitamin store?

wakey 07-11-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lagr (Post 896486)
I'm about to reach my one year mark next month and am ready to start trying new things. Nightnurse, how much turmeric do you take daily? Can you find it easily at a Whole Foods or vitamin store?

I am with you approaching one year. I am starting to try new things as well. Not sure anything will work but it's worth a try. I am not optimistic about vitamins or nutritional supplements having any noticeable effect. I take vitamins and fish oil and haven't noticed any perceptible difference.

nightnurse30 07-11-2012 08:15 PM

Just saw another thing about Turmeric and Curcumin!! Oddly enough, I just got a pamphlet in the mail for a seminar for Health Care professionals on "Understanding Fatigue. Focus on Stress, Habits, and the Brain," given by a doctor who has extensive studying on fatigue in brain injuries. I obviously get a lot of things like this in the mail since i am a nurse.

Its course objective is on these 6 categories....Stress-related fatigue: the mind-body connection. Hormone-Related Fatigue. Diet, Drugs, and Herbs. THe inflammation-Fatigue- Mood Connection. Sleep Disorders. and Habits to Increase Energy.

In the Inlfammtion-Fatigue-Mood Connection it lists under it a few bullet points, but one is "anti-inflammatory foods and drugs" and it lists....omega 3s, vegetables and fruit, anti-inflammatory spice (eg, garlic, turmeric, curcumin), green tea.....etc

Isnt that interesting how its written right in the course description. Looks like an amazing seminar....and although i am doing really well and no longer suffering from PCS symptoms, I'm thinking of attending so I can learn more and be able to help other patients I come across.

srgallan 08-28-2012 11:44 AM

Just searched for this exact type of info and up came this thread in google :-)

I had a visit with a well known naturopathic doctor in my area. Basically to go over my supplements many of which were recommended on this forum. She had me increase dosages for some based on some blood tests results and added new one's. She is recommending what I have seen Mark suggest about getting me in the upper ranges for some of them to provide the energy/nutrients required for the brain.

She then brought up Tumeric, she has me on curcumin by AOR @ 400 mg. She was a pretty strong advocate of all the benefits it provided and urged that I add it to my routine.

So I am going to give it a go.

GlassHead 08-28-2012 01:24 PM

The bioavailability of curcumin is very low because of poor absorption and a rapid body metabolism resulting in only a very small amount actually being absorbed and put to good use in the body. To increase the bioavailability it is recommended to eat half a tea spoon of pepper in combination with the curcumin.

Pepper contains piperine which inhibits the breakdown of the turmeric compounds. It is also possible to buy curcumin with piperine added to them, known as bioperine. A number of other methods to increase bioavailability exists discussed in this article:

http://margaret.healthblogs.org/life...y-of-curcumin/

-GlassHead

postconcussion 12-07-2012 01:00 PM

Thank you to others who recommended tumeric.

I have been taking:

http://www.vitacost.com/new-chapter-...FSmCQgodhiAAjQ

I have noticed a difference! Also no stomach issues.

Concussion 12-07-2012 05:22 PM

Dr. Weil has always been a good Integrative Medicine source of information for me , he has this posted from 2011:

Tumeric

This is not to say it isn't useful for TBI, the posting is from 2011. The interesting part to me was the info on the possible contraindications etc.

Followed by this blog:

Dr. Weil Blog

Klaus 12-08-2012 06:55 AM

I've been bunging as much turmeric as I can into soups, curries, stews etc ever since I read about it in a cognitive neurorehab evidence textbook. It does make everything rather yellow. On the plus side I have gotten a lot better during that time!

Will now be putting pepper in with it.