NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Looking for advise on excercise and diet (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/173286-looking-advise-excercise-diet.html)

NewlifeS 07-15-2012 04:48 PM

Looking for advise on excercise and diet

Hi Im new to the forum and found it because both me and my husband need some help with understanding my Myasthenia Gravis condition better and get ways to help improve my lifestyle and health and wellbeing.

I have had myasthenia for a long time now and was diagnosed with it at 8 years old. I'm now in my late twenties. I have used quite a few different medications over the years and am looking for adivse on how best to help myself further.

I would like to help improve my health and exercise but I know that even walking a few blocks can tire me out, so wanted to know what kinds of exercises other people with mystenia do to help keep them healthy and trim.

I also wanted to know if there is any diet advice that I could follow so that it goes well with my excercise or something that would give me more energy and less fatigue.

I hope someone can help with any information.

Sorry about any bad english or grammar, typing on a phone isnt great.

ejh2 07-15-2012 09:18 PM

similar systems

You don't mention medications so all I can pass on to you is my own experience . I also had trouble walking any kind of distance . After a long period of testing I was finally diagnosed with LEMS . I was presribed an experimental medicine , diaminopyridine and later mestinon . I have been able to build up my endurance with stationary bike work , low speed treadmill and later some weight work . If you live in an urban area try to find a Y.
I wish you luck in your search , I know how frustrating in can be finding answers.
jim
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewlifeS (Post 897793)
Hi Im new to the forum and found it because both me and my husband need some help with understanding my Myasthenia Gravis condition better and get ways to help improve my lifestyle and health and wellbeing.

I have had myasthenia for a long time now and was diagnosed with it at 8 years old. I'm now in my late twenties. I have used quite a few different medications over the years and am looking for adivse on how best to help myself further.

I would like to help improve my health and exercise but I know that even walking a few blocks can tire me out, so wanted to know what kinds of exercises other people with mystenia do to help keep them healthy and trim.

I also wanted to know if there is any diet advice that I could follow so that it goes well with my excercise or something that would give me more energy and less fatigue.

I hope someone can help with any information.

Sorry about any bad english or grammar, typing on a phone isnt great.

suev 07-16-2012 09:31 AM

My neuro recommended water aerobics - though you must make sure your instructor knows about your MG!

Their reasoning was: the water helps to keep body temp in check during exercise, the water acts as both support and resistance (so you can work your legs while your trunk and arms are more buoyant), calorie burn is quite decent.

NewlifeS 07-17-2012 01:13 PM

Shes curently taking Azathioprine and Pyridostigmine I believe, not sure about the dosage. But she wants to get off the Azathioprine as its found to be harmful for a baby.

Will look into the Water Aerobics, thanks for the advice.

Are there any other things you would recommend.

NewlifeS's husband

Kim12 07-18-2012 01:01 PM

I find that light weight lifting at the gym is good for me. I have never been able to keep up or make it through an aerobic class or to make it more that 5 minutes on a treadmill, but I can lift a weight 10 reps and then rest for a minute. I worked with a personal trainer for a few months to learn different exercises and the proper posture for workouts. A workout that would take someone else a half hour, usually takes me an hour, but I get a great workout and my muscles are toned. I also like the easy yoga classes.

sugrkiss 07-19-2012 03:53 AM

Swimming has been the best feeling for me. Didn't tire me out as much as I thought it would, and the wTer feels great on aching muscles. Biggest problem for me was having the ability to make it out of the house and to the pool. Good luck!

teresakoch 07-19-2012 10:59 AM

I may upset some people here, but FWIW, I get REALLY upset with doctors who "recommend" exercise for patients with MG - it tells me that they truly don't get it. Our problem isn't that our muscles aren't "strong" enough - our problem is that the receptors that take in the chemicals that make our muscles work have atrophied.

All the exercise in the world is not going to change that.

For people with MG, exercise can - quite literally - KILL THEM.

If we exercise, we are requiring our muscles to use up all of the "juice" in them. Since our receptors are unable to pull in ACh at the same rate as everyone else, once our muscles have used up the ACh that is there, that is it - our muscles shut down and we collapse.

The frightening part is that one set of those muscles is the group that allows our lungs to expand and contract. If all of the ACh in our system is used up, those lung muscles CEASE TO FUNCTION. If our lungs can't expand and contract, oxygen cannot get to our brain and WE WILL DIE.

The only way to save someone with MG whose lung muscles quit working is mechanical ventilation.

It is vitally important that our doctors understand this - I get so upset with my neurologist when she starts to tell me what "exercises" I should be doing to prevent my muscles from atrophying. My muscles are plenty strong - I can tell that just by flexing my arms (a gluten free diet helps keep muscles strong).

Exercise isn't ever going to build up our endurance, because the problem isn't our muscle tissue - our problem is the neuro-receptors which are ON our muscles; they don't work. All the exercise in the world will never change that.

I don't know about you, but I do not want to find myself on a ventilator. I am unwilling to meet someone else's expectations of what I SHOULD be doing, because unless you have lived in a body with MG, you really and truly cannot understand how tiring the least bit of exertion can be.

We have to learn to give ourselves permission to take it easy. If the ones we love don't want to lose us, they HAVE to understand that we cannot do the things that other people take for granted.

We aren't lazy, we aren't "out of shape", and it isn't that we don't have the drive/willpower/desire to do more - I rail against the limitations of my body every single day. But I have learned to accept the fact that there isn't anything that I can do to change those limitations.

suev 07-19-2012 03:52 PM

Teresa, I completely understand and agree with what you are saying.

I never meant to indicate that my neuro was suggesting exercise would improve MG. I was the one asking for what I might be able to do to stay active. (Example: I had already given up horseback riding and jogging - - cause I ended up short of breath and REALLY weak!)

Neuro suggested the water activity and resistance work with those stretchy bands...at a pace I could handle.

So I do those things and I still golf (ride cart, and rarely can make 18 now) 3 or 4 times a week and work in the garden / yard when I can.

None of this activity is with the hope that I am doing anything to improve my MG. For all I know, I may be wasting the receptors I do have! But I'm doing what I can, when I can, as I can for ME....so I don't go bonkers!

sugrkiss 07-19-2012 04:05 PM

I'm in 100% agreance with you. It's very irritating having to explain to people and drs. That excersizing isn't the healthiest thing for us Mgers. Luckily my Nuero told me straight up that excersizing on my own or with a physical therapist is the opposite of good for me and he would not recommend it. However he did tell me that if I'm feeling strong and I want to excersice, make sure I'm supervised.

To the original question. The only way I've found that I can lose weight without excersizing , is by eating lots of whole grains, drinking only water or tea, and eating veggies and fruit. It's kind I common sense, but eating processed/fast/sugary foods really packs on the pounds. Whereas whole natural foods don't tend to add extra that my body doesn't need. It's tough as a lover of food but it's possible to do it without excersize and without starving yourself.
Jess

southblues 07-19-2012 08:08 PM

I don't really know what to do about exercise. My doctor told me to give up horseback riding, but I am not going to do it. I don't ride as long as I used to. I don't jump any more. But my horse is one of the main things that I live for. I had no problem giving up jogging. I hate jogging and always did.